Bathtub drain and vent layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Judd

Reaction score
Is the attached drain configuration acceptable or is it too many turns and too tight to have good drainage for
the bathtub?
upload_2020-3-26_0-51-42.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it possible to move the existing drain pipe to the right next to the other floor joist using 45 degree elbows? Is there a trap next the sanitee near the "wall" label?

bathtub drain.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the attached drain configuration acceptable
  1. If you showed a floor plan that includes the lavatory, somebody might be able to show you an easier wet venting, wet venting can go horizontal under proper conditions, letting you avoid the trip to the wall to pick up the vent.
  2. Idaho uses IPC. IPC allows a trap arm (horizontal pipe between trap and vent) to be 8 ft if run in 2 inch, and 12 ft if run in 3 inch pipe.

Gary Judd

Reaction score
This is in a pre-manufactured home. All sinks and bathtubs are using individual air vent valves. Right now there is nothing beyond the existing drain pipe. Moving the drain pipe to the right might be possible. Is the advantage of doing that to eliminate tight turns, other wise I don't see why that would help? But I don't know much about plumbing, so I'm open to these great ideas.

Also, I thought with 1 1/2" ABS (which is what this is), that the trap arm had to be between two pipe diameters minimum to 3.6 feet maximum. I went to the wall only because that is the closest place that allows me to come up for the vent because of the tub bottom being in the way.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Gary Judd

Reaction score
Yes, there would be a trap connected to the bottom of the sanitee which would then go to a trap arm to an air vent valve then to the drain pipe. I'm adding another 1" sub-floor beneath the tub to give me the additional drain slope I would need. Right now this is just planning. All that exist is the original rough out hole on the opposite end in the floor showing the drain pipe. We are replacing the old tub with a whirlpool tub, but because of the required motor access, we have to put the tub drain opposite of where it is now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks