Can I turn the outflow side of a p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrjohneel

Reaction score
I want to sweat PVC for my kitchen sink rather than use the plastic kits at the box stores. Bear with me while I ask what could be a silly question. The component on the left of the p-trap in the photo goes to the waste pipe. The right of the trap goes to the sink's tailpipe. My only question is: can that left piece be slightly twisted as it is? Or does it have to be aligned with the right side -- that is forming a straight line? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 120

mrjohneel

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry. The part I had to cut out and replace (new cabinets; different configuration) worked well for 28 years. I put it in back then, which was my last significant attempt at plumbing. So I'm starting all over again! Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, Massachusetts has what may be some of the strictest plumbing rules in the country. Not only must the parts you use be listed on the state run parts database, nobody is legally allowed to do any plumbing anywhere, without a license.

So, proceed at your own risk. Lots of people do, but if caught, it can get pretty nasty.

Reach4

Reaction score
I want to sweat PVC for my kitchen sink rather than use the plastic kits at the box stores.
When you cement PVC, you need to get it right the first time. With practice you can become adept at getting it right the first time on a project. But on your first project, that may be harder than you think. When you put a trap adapter at the wall and use slip tubing, you can adjust at your leisure. You can take it apart to clean. You can replace it with no problem. The slip is to be used only where it is accessible later.

May I suggest that you consider slip brass (chromed or not) rather than slip plastic? The plastic and brass are interchangeable. It will give you an appearance upgrade. 22 gauge plated brass is common, and heavier 17 gauge is fairly easily available.

mrjohneel

Reaction score
FWIW, Massachusetts has what may be some of the strictest plumbing rules in the country. Not only must the parts you use be listed on the state run parts database, nobody is legally allowed to do any plumbing anywhere, without a license.

So, proceed at your own risk. Lots of people do, but if caught, it can get pretty nasty.
I hear you. And thank you -- I appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks