Quick question: BF time when decreasing from 40k to either 36 or 32k grain

Users who are viewing this thread

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hi all!

Currently I’m running Fleck SXT 64000 grain water softener and with all of your forums help i was able to configure it to 40000 grain with BF = 8 mins. However, I my family isn’t using up the 2900 gallons of soft water before manual regeneration at 30 days (recommended by this forum). Is it ok to go down to either 32000 or 36000 grain and what would the BF times be respectively for each? I’m getting slightly different info online. Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score

Loiwin

Reaction score
Is it ok to decrease my grains, or should I increase my manual regeneration to let’s say, 45 days?

Loiwin

Reaction score
Based on
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983 , which has some different numbers than what I have used otherwise,
here are some choices:
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 2

Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
2.250 ; 22.2 ; 3
3.000 ; 27.7 ; 4
3.750 ; 32.2 ; 5
4.500 ; 36.0 ; 6
5.250 ; 39.2 ; 7
6.000 ; 42.0 ; 8
6.750 ; 44.5 ; 9
7.500 ; 46.6 ; 10
8.250 ; 48.6 ; 11

So for 32000 grains should I use 5 minutes BF? I’ve seen other posts where values were BF = 6. Will it make a difference which I use?

Reach4

Reaction score
So for 32000 grains should I use 5 minutes BF? I’ve seen other posts where values were BF = 6. Will it make a difference which I use?
Yes. It will make a difference whether you use 5 or 6 minutes.

6 minutes will give C=40 or C=42, depending on which set of numbers you use. I don't know that you will find somebody saying that 6 minutes with a 0.5 BLFC and 2 cuft of resin will give you only 32000 grains of softening.

As to how many grains of softening you should get, one set of numbers has more more margin built in than the other.

Here is another set of numbers based on the other different set of numbers:
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 2
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
5.250 ; 37.2 ; 7
6.000 ; 40.0 ; 8
6.750 ; 43.1 ; 9
7.500 ; 46.1 ; 10
8.250 ; 48.9 ; 11

I understand they don't match the second set. Don't get hung up on that.

Last edited:

Loiwin

Reaction score
Yes. It will make a difference whether you use 5 or 6 minutes.

6 minutes will give C=40 or C=42, depending on which set of numbers you use. I don't know that you will find somebody saying that 6 minutes with a 0.5 BLFC and 2 cuft of resin will give you only 32000 grains of softening.

As to how many grains of softening you should get, one set of numbers has more more margin built in than the other.

Here is another set of numbers based on the other different set of numbers:
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 2
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
5.250 ; 37.2 ; 7
6.000 ; 40.0 ; 8
6.750 ; 43.1 ; 9
7.500 ; 46.1 ; 10
8.250 ; 48.9 ; 11

I understand they don't match the second set. Don't get hung up on that.

Reach, you were a big help in helping me set up my softener last year. The second set of numbers you sent me matches what you sent me last year. It was agreed I would use BF = 8 for 40000 grains. So what is your recommendation then on BF for 32000 grains? I wasn’t sure since the 2 charts are different. Also, what would you recommend for 36 or 37000 grains? Thanks...

Reach4

Reaction score
You are trying to save salt. How about 4.500 ; 36.0 ; 6 minutes. That is much leaner than usual. One thing is that I think the countdown starts over when you change settings. So take that into account. Also the brine tank is already filled for the next regen. So you won't know the effects of the change for almost a couple months.

Your 8 minutes (6 lb/cuft) was already pretty economical with the salt.

Loiwin

Reaction score
You are trying to save salt. How about 4.500 ; 36.0 ; 6 minutes. That is much leaner than usual. One thing is that I think the countdown starts over when you change settings. So take that into account. Also the brine tank is already filled for the next regen. So you won't know the effects of the change for almost a couple months.

Your 8 minutes (6 lb/cuft) was already pretty economical with the salt.

The main thing is I guess in a month I feel like we weren’t using up close to 2900 gallons. We used to when we had frequent guests. What do you mean when you say the countdown starts all over? Countdown to manual override 30 days? Or countdown from softened gallons to 0? If I decide to lower the C, how should I go about this now the my brine tank is filled to BF = 8? Thanks...

Reach4

Reaction score
The main thing is I guess in a month I feel like we weren’t using up close to 2900 gallons. We used to when we had frequent guests. What do you mean when you say the countdown starts all over? Countdown to manual override 30 days? If I decide to lower the C, how should I go about this now the my brine tank is filled to BF = 8? Thanks...
Countdown of gallons and countdown of days, I think. Not sure. So I think the softener may think it has regenerated when you changed the settings, even if you don't regenerate then. I have not experimented on that, but I remember something like that happening when I was changing numbers.

Maybe just ignore the fact that the next regen is going to be richer than the ones that follow.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You said in your original thread that the water hardness is 15 gpg. You were then advised to program an additional 2-3 gpg when programming the softener to anticipate occasional additional hardness which is common when municipal water is obtained from multiple sources. A rough calculation indicates the hardness setting is currently programmed at 13 gpg which is less than the water hardness amount you stated is actually contained in the water.

You did not specify how many gallons are remaining just prior to regeneration at 30 days.

In keeping the Capacity setting at the current 40,000 grains, changing the hardness setting to 17 gpg will result in the following:
40,000 / 17 = 2,353 gallons regenerated each cycle.
You said your family of 4 each use 35 gallons/day so X 4 = 140 gallons/day.
2,353 - 140 (reserve) = 2,213 gallons displayed / 140 (daily use) = 15.8 - 16 days estimated between regeneration cycles.

The correct amount of salt needed to regenerate 40K grains in 2 ft3 of resin is 12 lbs.
4 gallons water will be needed to dissolve 12 lbs salt as each gallon will dissolve 3 lbs salt.
For 4 gallons to be automatically added the brine tank with a 0.5 gpm BLFC, the BF setting needed will be 8 minutes.

Even if your water tested at 11 gpg hardness and so you then programmed 13 gpg, that will then result in the following:
40,000 / 13 gpg = 3,077 gallons - 140 (reserve) = 2,937 gallons / 140 gallons usage = 20.9 - 21 days estimated between regeneration cycles if your estimated water consumption was reasonably accurate.

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hey all, my new setting are as follows:

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 14 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 175 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 30 ; Day Override (28 to 30 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 6 ; Brine Fill

Do these look okay to you guys? My main question is, I changed these settings about 14 days into my previous regeneration when there was 2700 gallons left to next regen. After changing to these settings above the gallons went down to 2390 before next regen. Should I wait it out till it regenerates on its own, do a manual regeneration now, or maybe do one in a couple of weeks to equal 30 days since last regeneration? Thanks...

Bannerman

Reaction score
Why is there such a discrepancy between the information you provided in your other thread which you based your water softener purchase on, to the results reported in this thread?

You said your 4 person family each use 35 gals water per day. Was this inaccurate?

You said your municipal water contains 15 gpg hardness. Was this inaccurate?

You didn't state how many gallons capacity were remaining when regeneration was forced by the 30 day DO setting.

The capacity setting should be matched to the salt amount. This chart at the link below specifies 8 lbs salt (4 lbs/ft3) will regenerate 34,000 grains capacity in 2 ft3 of resin.

Your 6 minute BF setting will use 9 lbs salt to restore 36,000. While this may work OK, suggest using the Capacity and salt settings indicated in the chart so you will have a reliable written reference.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/resin-chart-jpg.53316/

Since the remaining capacity was decreased when you made the setting changes, and as there us currently 12 lbs brine prepared which is more than needed to regenerate the new lower capacity amount, suggest allowing the softener to automatically regeneration on its own.

Last edited:

Loiwin

Reaction score
Why is there such a discrepancy between the information you provided in your other thread which you based your water softener purchase on, to the results reported in this thread?

You said your 4 person family each use 35 gals water per day. Was this inaccurate?

You said your municipal water contains 15 gpg hardness. Was this inaccurate?

You didn't state how many gallons capacity were remaining when regeneration was forced by the 30 day DO setting.

The capacity setting should be matched to the salt amount. This chart at the link below specifies 8 lbs salt (4 lbs/ft3) will regenerate 34,000 grains capacity in 2 ft3 of resin.

Your 6 minute BF setting will use 9 lbs salt to restore 36,000. While this may work OK, suggest using the Capacity and salt settings indicated in the chart so you will have a reliable written reference.

Bannerman I’m not sure how it’s different, I ended up doing 40000 grains with BF = 8 based on your guys recommendations last thread. We have been using less water as of late (less people being home). It’s hard for me to understand that chart. Based on that chart, i can go to 34000 grains, what BF would I use?

Also, is there any detriment in wasting all the softened water before the 30 day override? I think I was only using 6 lb salt for 40000 grains? Would it be better just use 40000 grains and wasting some softened water vs using more salt to only get 34000 grains?

Last edited:

Loiwin

Reaction score

Since the remaining capacity was decreased when you made the setting changes, and as there us currently 12 lbs brine prepared which is more than needed to regenerate the new lower capacity amount, suggest allowing the softener to automatically regeneration on its own.

I did read the chart, and to get 34000 grains at 4lb/ft 2 cu ft resin, how many BF mins? Sorry for the stupid questions, didn’t know how to get this calculation. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I did read the chart, and to get 34000 grains at 4lb/ft 2 cu ft resin, how many BF mins? Sorry for the stupid questions, didn’t know how to get this calculation. Thanks
See post #2, which is based on that table. The number would be 8*4/6=5.333 minutes (your current minutes * 4 lb / 6 lb). But you can only choose integers, so choose 5 or 6 minutes. If you choose 6 minutes, you could use C=36.0.

Loiwin

Reaction score
See post #2, which is based on that table. The number would be 8*4/6=5.333 minutes (your current minutes * 4 lb / 6 lb). But you can only choose integers, so choose 5 or 6 minutes.

Yes doing some calculations if I choose BF = 6 mins I get 4.5 lb/ft, if I choose BF = 5 mins I get 3.75 lb/ft. If I’m shooting for 4 lb/ft to get 34000 grains, which is better to choose, 5 or 6 mins? Thanks so much

Bannerman

Reaction score
The forum is not allowing my postings. Terry has been notified, but I'm still intermittently experiencing issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks