Can anyone help me with a question about pool water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadetlady

Reaction score
I'm at a loss and hoping someone on this forum can help.

We have an in-ground pool which gets sediment in it and I can't figure out what it is. My pool guy doesn't have an answer either. It settles on the floor of the pool, is opaque, and kicks up like dust whenever I swim. I call it "fish food" because it has larger particles that have the size and shape of fish food flakes (not color - just size and shape). Another comparison might be what a plastic shopping bag looks like when it disintegrates. It lays on the bottom unless there's movement in the pool. If I use fins and a scissor movement, I can "brush" it toward the filter using gentle water movement, and get it to go down the drain -- but there is so much in the pool it's a fool's errand.

Last year someone suggested draining and refilling the pool. We drained it, treated it with muriatic acid, and filled it back up again. It seemed to cut down on it a little for a short while, but did not solve the problem. The pool was sparkling clean for about 3-5 days total and then it returned.

Here's a link to our city water: https://www.mesawater.org/water-quality/water-quality-report

The pool is not plaster, but rather pebble tec, so it's not something to do with what the pool is made of.

We have a salt water system, but the problem was there before we changed to salt water, so that's not the issue either.

I doubt the heater has anything to do with it, but we have a brand new heater and also solar heating. The pump is also new.

Any ideas what it could be? Possibly something in the pipes? I don't think it is dissolved solids because it would have resolved for a while when we drained and re-filled the pool.

It's driving me nuts - I enter the pool and it looks sparkling clean, and as soon as there's any movement in the pool and the "fish food" gets kicked up, it's all cloudy.

Any help or resource as to where I might go to get help would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what you have there. Have you looked at pool robot vacuums?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What type of filter? Is there a pool heater? Has the water been tested regularly for proper Ph and total alkalinity? A film may have built up over the years on the pipes and now it is flaking off? Really don't know what it is.

Ask the wife for some old stockings and place then over the water inlets. Screw off the ring , remove the eyeball nozzle and thread the ring back on over the stocking. It will catch the material so you'll know it is coming from outside the pool.

There are three type of pool filters; sand, diatomaceous earth, and paper media. The paper media could have failed, for DE filters has a fabric that holds back the DE, a tear will cause the water to get cloudy as the DE passes through. Sand is held back with a plastic filter screen. Only a failed paper filter may give you this problem.

shopping

Gadetlady

Reaction score
What type of filter? Is there a pool heater? Has the water been tested regularly for proper Ph and total alkalinity? A film may have built up over the years on the pipes and now it is flaking off? Really don't know what it is.

Ask the wife for some old stockings and place then over the water inlets. Screw off the ring , remove the eyeball nozzle and thread the ring back on over the stocking. It will catch the material so you'll know it is coming from outside the pool.

There are three type of pool filters; sand, diatomaceous earth, and paper media. The paper media could have failed, for DE filters has a fabric that holds back the DE, a tear will cause the water to get cloudy as the DE passes through. Sand is held back with a plastic filter screen. Only a failed paper filter may give you this problem.

shopping

I'm pretty sure we have a diatomaceous earth filter, and it is cleaned regularly. Doesn't seem to have an impact after it is cleaned. We do have a pool heater. The water is tested regularly. I was actually wondering the same thing - could there be a film inside the pipes?

Good idea about the stockings! (and I'm the wife)

I'm going to try to take an underwater photo or video to post here in the next few days so I can show what it looks like.

Gadetlady

Reaction score
I don't know what you have there. Have you looked at pool robot vacuums?

Also re: the pool robot vacuum - I'm more concerned to find out what it is than how to clean it up. It just seems so odd to me. If it were a little bit or every so often, I don't think I'd be concerned. But I just wonder what the heck I'm swimming in.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Bypass the pool heater but be sure it is turned off first. A DE filter you would be buying DE and after a backwash placing about five pounds of powder into the skimmer. If you have a tall and narrow tank it is a paper filter. These fail by clogging up and the pressure would be high if you have a gauge on the filter tank. The paper maybe tearing up. About every three years the filter cartridge should be replaced.

Gadetlady

Reaction score
Bypass the pool heater but be sure it is turned off first. A DE filter you would be buying DE and after a backwash placing about five pounds of powder into the skimmer. If you have a tall and narrow tank it is a paper filter. These fail by clogging up and the pressure would be high if you have a gauge on the filter tank. The paper maybe tearing up. About every three years the filter cartridge should be replaced.

Checking with the pool guy. I'm 99% sure it's DE.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks