Wet vent for bathtub in bathroom/laundry (Ontario)

Users who are viewing this thread

riverdale

Reaction score
With all the self-isolation going on here in Toronto, I’ve had the chance to poke around some more. I had posted previously (not in this Canadian forum, which somehow I missed!?) and got some great info. and advice. However, now I see what’s already there (structure, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC), I’d like to modify my plan slightly and hopefully incorporate more of the existing drain piping.

My primary question is this:

Is it OK to wet vent the bathtub as shown in the diagram, with the distance from F - G being ~3’, and with G - S being ~1’.

I’m thinking if anything, there may be an issue with a pumped drain (i.e. the washer) being above the bathtub connection. I could add a separate vent in the line between F -G, but it’s looking pretty tight in that wall already, so I’d like to avoid that if possible. If I do have to add it, I could physically fit it into the the toilet vent, along D - R. The only stipulation being it would have to tie in at 42” or higher, is that correct? This would put the connection at the same vertical level as the existing 1.5” kitchen vent from below.

OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:

Toilet to vent distance B-D-C is ~5.5’

Farthest sink (on right) to vent distance N - J is ~ 3.5’

Double sink connection and venting was discussed previously and I believe it’s still a valid solution. An alternate arrangement, utilizing a double fixture fitting, was also discussed, but I’ve since determined that a double fixture fitting isn’t commonly used here in Canada. Apparently a double san-tee is the typical method, as long as it’s got a cleanout directly below it. Although that isn’t the solution I have shown here.

Thanks for any input and advice.

Attachments

• Wet vent for bathtub.jpg
    Wet vent for bathtub.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

riverdale

Reaction score
A washer can't wet vent anything. It's a pumped fixture. The washer needs to come in downstream of the tub so that it doesn't siphon the tub trap.
The tub will need a vent.

Thanks Terry...Somehow I knew that washer was going to be the problem...

OK, so two further clarifications:

1) Since the washer can't wet vent anything....that also means the lavs (J) MUST connect ABOVE the washer (I) so I will need to reverse what's shown on my diagram. Is that correct? Because what I have drawn results in the lavs being wet vented, albeit VERY briefly, but rules are rules, so that's doable.

2) I physically can't tie the washer in downstream of the tub, so I will go with the alternate I initially outlined...that is, separate bathtub vent coming off between F - G , and connecting to the toilet vent, along D - R at a level of 42" or above. Is that acceptable?

riverdale

Reaction score
Rethinking this AGAIN, so please ignore my above suggestion to reverse things as that also doesn’t work.....

Hoping to keep it clear and concise:

Diagram shows a dry vent for the washer - Allowed

Diagram shows right sink is also dry vented - Allowed

Left sink is wet vented by the washer - NOT allowed
To fix this, add a separate dry vent, roughly from L to O

Picture shows wet vent for bathtub - NOT allowed
To fix this, add separate dry vent, along F -G
Tie this in, with dry vent from toilet, at Q

Thus all four fixtures (washer, bathtub, and two sinks) are now individually dry vented - Allowed.

Modified diagram attached, with changes outlined in ORANGE

Hopefully this now meets all the requirements, but please let me know.

Thank you as always for the guidance.

Attachments

• ED519D55-09C7-4A28-BFDB-D1EF4A8B97F7.jpeg
    ED519D55-09C7-4A28-BFDB-D1EF4A8B97F7.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 449

Ryan Miehm

In the Trades
Reaction score
the vent for the sink at K-L will need to be before it ties into the 2" line, or run it into a tee-wye and then drop it into the 2" line and vent continuing off the top, otherwise, that vent wont serve a purpose. also, how is the toilet at B-C vented?

riverdale

Reaction score
the vent for the sink at K-L will need to be before it ties into the 2" line, or run it into a tee-wye and then drop it into the 2" line and vent continuing off the top, otherwise, that vent wont serve a purpose. also, how is the toilet at B-C vented?

Sink @ K -L: OK I’ll take a closer look at how much room I have and see how I can do this in that location.

Toilet: The toilet has a 2” vent coming off the 3” toilet drain at location D. It is approximately 5’ or so from the toilet itself to location D.

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks