Problem Removing Old Faucet Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

DC Newbie

Reaction score
Bathroom faucet developed a slow drip recently, and I found that the cold side would not shut off and also had extremely low flow. No idea how long ago, if ever, the cartridge was replaced, but it seems like the culprit. This is an American Standard faucet. I am having no luck removing the cartridge though...seems the hard water has really fused it to the stem. I've tried penetrating oil, and applying liberal amounts of torque, with no luck. Had tongue and groove pliers securing the stem while I tried to turn cartridge with slip joint pliers, but it didn't budge.

Soooo...now what? Appreciate any help/guidance you all can provide.

thanks

Attachments

• Faucet.jpg
    Faucet.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 177

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will probably need to remove that end body from the lavatory to extract it. Put the end body into a vice. Instead of using pliers use a ratchet with a 7/8" deep socket.

DC Newbie

Reaction score
You will probably need to remove that end body from the lavatory to extract it. Put the end body into a vice. Instead of using pliers use a ratchet with a 7/8" deep socket.
Bingo, that did the trick! Thanks so much. Ended up able to extract the cartridge without removing the rest of the fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks