Leaking Riser Nozzle

Users who are viewing this thread

HeightsKyle

Reaction score
I had a Rain Bird sprinkler that was leaking out of the head. I solved the leak problem by replacing the inside with a Seal-A-Matic value. This fixed the leaking issue at one sprinkler head, but now one of my risers with a nozzle attached to the top is constantly leaking water out of the nozzle. When I take the nozzle off, water is constantly pouring out. If I cap the riser off, then my other riser with a nozzle starts leaking. I have used many different nozzles and water continues to leak out the of the riser with the nozzle. Does anyone have any idea why my riser with the nozzle is constantly leaking water?
https://ibb.co/RQRKmpJ
RQRKmpJ

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The picture shown is just a spray head on a raiser? When is it leaking? City water or well with or without a pressure tank? Does it ever stop when the water is turned off?
When the water is turned off per zone, the remaining water in the pipes will seek it own level and drip out of any sprinkler head until the water level is below the lowest head. Seal A Matic's are used at the lowest level of the yard, but the Houston area is quite flat. It must eventually stop and it is not wasted, the water is still watering the ground.

HeightsKyle

Reaction score
The picture shown is just a spray head on a raiser? When is it leaking? City water or well with or without a pressure tank? Does it ever stop when the water is turned off?
When the water is turned off per zone, the remaining water in the pipes will seek it own level and drip out of any sprinkler head until the water level is below the lowest head. Seal A Matic's are used at the lowest level of the yard, but the Houston area is quite flat. It must eventually stop and it is not wasted, the water is still watering the ground.

Yes, the picture is a riser with a spray head. It is constantly leaking. City water. I do not know if I have a regulator in my sprinkler system. The water does stop leaking once the water is turned off to the sprinkler system.

The water does not stop leaking. The only way the water stops leaking is to close the back flow prevented. The problem has gone from sprinkler to sprinkler and I fix it at one sprinkler head then it starts at another. I’m wasting water and need help!!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Replacing sprinkler heads do not fix leaks. SInce you stated that shutting the water off at the backflow preventer is obvious that a valve whne closed is leaking. Either way a diaphragm in a valve is leaking.

Do you have an indexing valve connected to a timer and valve or a controller operation several irrigation valves?

Indexing valve.
upload_2020-3-17_21-26-42.jpeg

HeightsKyle

Reaction score
Replacing sprinkler heads do not fix leaks. SInce you stated that shutting the water off at the backflow preventer is obvious that a valve whne closed is leaking. Either way a diaphragm in a valve is leaking.

Do you have an indexing valve connected to a timer and valve or a controller operation several irrigation valves?

Indexing valve.
View attachment 60445

I have three controller operated values. They are currently turned off. I know this because when I turn one on, the sprinklers start working.

So you would recommend figured out the controller value to the zone that is leaking and replace the value itself or just the diaphragm? Is this something that I could buy and complete myself? Or would you recommend hiring a professional? I appreciate the guidance and responses WorthFlorida!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Depends on the age of the valves but for most, diaphragms are available. Since the valves are plastic and the screws stainless steel they usually come apart fairly easy. If there are no numbers or labeling on the valves, take pictures and go to a sprinkler supplier store. They can tell usually what type of valve they are.

This company is in Houston
https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/...n/valves-valve-boxes/valves/inline-valves?p=1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks