Complete Replacement of DWV after redesign - where to start installing?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
I have posted another thread related to the design of my completely new DWV system as I am remodeling and have a smaller home an everything is sort of centralized in one main area around the stack. With the great help of folks on this forum, I have landed on this for the design:

Now the big question I have been struggling with that I can't seem to find tips or an answer on is where to start or, rather, method of attack, so to speak. I don't need specifics to my exact design, but am looking for general answers. Do I start at the very bottom and work my way up and hit the branches? Or do I start with all of the branches and temporarily hold them in place and finally attach them to the stack components?

I hope what I am asking makes sense. I am just looking to find the answer of "I have the designed, measured and roughly to specs, besides buying the fittings and pipe, what is the next step after that?" I have replaced and added on previously so have the experience and skills necessary, I just don't have much experience with a blank slate so to speak. Thanks!

Two60zCowboy

Reaction score
I'd go:
Test fit Main stack to toilet with Utility sink and washer drain ensemble
I wouldn't start gluing until I had that figured out
then
Main stack to toilet
Utility sink vent up to 90* 1st floor
Washer Drain / Vent up
work down first floor sink drain at the 90*
Meet up stack to first floor drain
work up main stack vent
(Question? your main stack vent doesn't have to be the same size as your stack pipe?)
Then it seems like the rest would be measure twice cut once

Reaction score
Sorry that I am here with out any answers. However, did you do your layout in sketch up? VBO. If this makes no since, don't even worry bout it.
Just wanted to say I liked the visual aid. I am to planning on wrapping my head around my re-pipe project and I was going to do the same thing and lay it out visually in CG.

ShelzMike

Reaction score
Sorry that I am here with out any answers. However, did you do your layout in sketch up? VBO. If this makes no since, don't even worry bout it.
Just wanted to say I liked the visual aid. I am to planning on wrapping my head around my re-pipe project and I was going to do the same thing and lay it out visually in CG.

Yes, I was done in SketchUp Pro. I don't take on large projects without it. If you have someone who can DIY well, which I feel I can, no matter how decent of an implementation I can do, the one thing I will never have when compared to pros, besides speed, is that years and decades of job experience that can allow them to plan and envision primarily in their heads. Therefore , I personally must plan (overly so sometimes) so that I can discover any problems before I start installing. Plus, spending the extra time planning at this level makes the installation much easier. I even measure everything so that the build matches up near exactly with the design. So I build it once on "paper" and once in real life.

That being said, it has taken me many years to be proficient with SketchUp. It is a great application, but the learning curve is pretty steep for most. Absolutely worth the effort though. Good luck on your project.

Reaction score
Very inspiring. I am nodding my head to everything you are saying. Well said. Before the internet, I just broke everything and ended up paying people to fix all my mistakes. With the internet I now give myself a 40% chance of not ruining it.
I am going to DL the free version and give it a go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks