Metal flashing melted onto electrical wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I had to solder a copper pipe that was right next to an electrical wire (white) so I put a piece of metal roof flashing so I wouldn't burn it with the torch but when I went to remove the flashing, I discovered that the heat melted the flashing to the wire and now it's stuck.

Should I just leave it? It's in the ceiling so it would have to be drywalled over.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like the flashing got hot enough to melt the insulation on the cable. I'd want to check how badly the cable's insulations is damaged.

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the wire, before it got melted to the metal flashing.
ceiling-pipe.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Where is this ceiling cavity? If you have to drywall over it you may need to cut out the entire section and rerun new wire since you cannot have junction boxes behind closed walls and ceilings. If it is a basement ceiling, you can do the repair with junction boxes and add access panels to the drywall repair to have access to them. The outlets still work since the copper did not burn through nor shorted to one another. BUT DO NOT LEAVE IT that way with power. A fire could start from arcing.

That strap holding the copper pipe, I assume you removed it and did a repair. It's why you melted the cable.

Reaction score
It's above the kitchen. This wire comes from a long ways away, there's no way to rip it out without demolishing the house. I removed the copper strap and the section of the pipe that was leaking before I did the repair. In order to use the torch I had put metal flashing behind it to protect the wire and the joist.

If I can pry off the metal can I just use some black tape?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
[QUOTE="DripSplashDrip, post: 619177, member: 77995".........If I can pry off the metal can I just use some black tape?[/QUOTE]

NO! It becomes a fire hazard.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I can pry off the metal can I just use some black tape?

Repairing damaged wire insulation with tape or other means that provides equivalent insulation is perfectly acceptable. That goes for either actual wire insulation or in your case cable insulation
(the white plastic sheath containing the wires). It done all the time. It's what electrical tape is for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks