Shorted zones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelcoa

Reaction score
I have a Hunter I-Core controller with 15 zones active. A few of the zones share a field wire and use Add-a-Zone modules, but zones 1 and 2 appear to be wired direct, that is each has its own wire running from the controller to the solenoid.

Recently, the system has begun acting like the wires for zones 1 and 2 are shorted. That is, whenever the controller calls for either zone 1 or zone 2 to be active, both solenoids come on. An irrigation "expert" told me that this can sometimes be cause not by shorted wires, but by a faulty solenoid. I don't see how that could be the case, unless a bad solenoid can cause the controller to energizer another zone.

Anyone run into this before? Any thoughts? Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Remove both wires to these two solenoids and activate each zone. With a voltmeter you may see 24 v ac on both zones when just one is activated. This Hunter unit can handle two zones at the same time. If you have no spare zones just adjust the timer for these two zones with no time set for zone 2, and you have enough pressure to run both at the same time. Or replace the first module for zones 1-6. Swapping it with another module the problem should follow the module.

Your so called expert is good with false non sense information or just to see how you react. A shorted solenoid may have damage the plug in module but this I-Core has a short detection and it shuts down that zone. A solenoid is good or bad, no much in between.

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/10586/product_id/28629/
The Hunter Quick Check is an efficient and effective way to diagnose problems in the field. Instead of having to physically check each field wiring circuit for potential problems, the user can run the Hunter Quick Check circuit test procedure. This circuit diagnostic procedure is very beneficial to quickly identify “shorts” commonly caused by faulty solenoids or when a bare common wire touches a bare station control wire.

To initiate Hunter Quick Check: With the dial in the RUN position, press and hold the +, –, ◄ or ► buttons for approximately two seconds and then release.

Last edited:

Nelcoa

Reaction score
Remove both wires to these two solenoids and activate each zone. With a voltmeter you may see 24 v ac on both zones when just one is activated. This Hunter unit can handle two zones at the same time. If you have no spare zones just adjust the timer for these two zones with no time set for zone 2, and you have enough pressure to run both at the same time. Or replace the first module for zones 1-6. Swapping it with another module the problem should follow the module.

Your so called expert is good with false non sense information or just to see how you react. A shorted solenoid may have damage the plug in module but this I-Core has a short detection and it shuts down that zone. A solenoid is good or bad, no much in between.

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/10586/product_id/28629/
The Hunter Quick Check is an efficient and effective way to diagnose problems in the field. Instead of having to physically check each field wiring circuit for potential problems, the user can run the Hunter Quick Check circuit test procedure. This circuit diagnostic procedure is very beneficial to quickly identify “shorts” commonly caused by faulty solenoids or when a bare common wire touches a bare station control wire.

To initiate Hunter Quick Check: With the dial in the RUN position, press and hold the +, –, ◄ or ► buttons for approximately two seconds and then release.

Thanks for the suggestions. The hunter unit checks out OK, so I guess I am left with the unpleasant prospect that the wires are actually shorted somewhere underground. Not looking forward to dealing with that...

Nelcoa

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The hunter unit checks out OK, so I guess I am left with the unpleasant prospect that the wires are actually shorted somewhere underground. Not looking forward to dealing with that...

...or I guess I could just live with the short and regard the current #1 and #2 zone wires as a single wire and use Add-a-zones on the solenoids... (there’s not enough pressure to run zone 1 and 2 at the same time)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks