How to troubleshoot brine line drawing air

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 2 Cu. Ft. softener with a Fleck 5810XTR2. I've noted that the brine line seems to be drawing air once the brine tank empties during the draw cycle. From reading elsewhere this sounds like a check valve issue or brine line leak. I've seen suggestions for how to troubleshoot, but I'm not clear on how to do it with my brine tank setup. Can I get some pointers?

IMG_20200214_230458.jpg

IMG_20200214_230605.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Take the brine line fitting at the valve apart and make sure the Jaco fitting is assembled correctly. Remove the brine line from the Legris fitting in the brine tank, cut the tube short 1" and reinsert into the brine safety float assembly.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Legris fitting was easy to cut and reconnect. I'm a little more concerned about the Jaco fitting. Does it look correct? I'm concerned that the compression marks all seem to be past the tube support, and the tube support appears to be corroding.

IMG_20200215_225217.jpg

IMG_20200215_225241.jpg

IMG_20200215_225250.jpg

IMG_20200215_225257.jpg

ditttohead

Reaction score
Jaco fitting is installed correctly. I would remove the tube insert, cut the tube back an inch and reinsert and tighten it.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay, I've cut and reassembled both ends of the tube. I've got a while before the system needs to regenerate, so I'll get back to this in a few days.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If you wish to verify without waiting days for an automatic regeneration cycle, simply perform a manual regeneration cycle to suit your availability.

ditttohead

Reaction score
To test brine line integrity simply put the system in refill and lift up the safety float in the brine tank. This will pressure test everything except for the parts after the float.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't had much time to deal with this, but last night I woke up during the brine draw cycle, and saw that it's still pulling air after redoing the tubing ends. It appears that air is getting pulled up into the tube from the brine tank, so the leak is not at the water softener end. Should I suspect a malfunctioning air check valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
I haven't had much time to deal with this, but last night I woke up during the brine draw cycle, and saw that it's still pulling air after redoing the tubing ends. It appears that air is getting pulled up into the tube from the brine tank, so the leak is not at the water softener end. Should I suspect a malfunctioning air check valve?
Yes. If the air is only being drawn after the brine is gone, definately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks