Valve handle blocked by gas co

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have an Apollo valve similar to the one pictured here. It's the first shutoff valve, so I cannot remove it without shutting off the water supply from the street, which wouldn't be easy. The valve is fine, but the gas company just installed an excess flow valve which blocks the operation of the handle, so I cannot close it. Is there a handle that has the stop on the other side of the nut so I could reverse it and close in the other direction, or another trick I could use here? Cutting the handle down seems to be an option, but such a short handle isn't very convenient. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

23L9M.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that the gas company should rectify their work that blocks operation of your valve. Is this indoors?

I am not a pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
Will it work if the handel is flat with no jog in it?
A flat handle would not hit the stops.

If you cut that handle tip off, you could attach a flat piece of the same width with a couple of worm gear hose clamps to the stubby handle. That would go across the nut to the other side. I wonder if you could slide off the yellow, and put it onto your new piece.

https://www.ferguson.com/category/v...ent-handles/apollo-conbraco/_/N-zbq55eZzbq6ll some shows available handles. Would the butterfly be compatible? I don't know.

If a type 83, there is an available extension.
80242.jpg
https://ordering.fwwebb.com/woitem/80242

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Apollo BALL_VALUE_HANDLE 2_LI (2).jpg

Take the handle off. Cut the stop off the end of the handle or bend it up. Then put the handle back on. It should work pointing in either direction and will close the valve on either side of the pipe.

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks folks, I appreciate these ideas. The valve is indoors. I was looking for a solution that would maintain the stops so that the water could be quickly shut down without needing to check that the handle is lined up. Cutting or bending the handle is an option, but I wanted to first check if there was a cleaner solution. The stem extension seems interesting. Do you know if I could use it to reverse the handle direction? Seems like it might work. The obstructing device is oriented in such a way that extension of the stem itself would not cause the handle to clear it, but since the extension appears to have a stop at the bottom but not at the top, maybe it would accept the handle the other way.

In theory I could call the gas company and request that they rebuild the meter manifold, but it seems like a lot of work compared to adjusting the valve handle, and it would probably take a lot of time and effort just to arrange it. Thanks again.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I replaced one of those handles with a Tee handle to use on my truck water hose reel to prevent inadvertent opening. The stubby Tee is less likely to get bumped open and being much shorter takes more force to open.

Attachments

• Tee.jpg
    Tee.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 156

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
My thought:
Remove the nut, rotate the handle 180* and re-install the nut.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks DJ2, I did not select this apollo valve, but I don't understand why the manufacturer would choose not provide this flexibility, which seemingly would cost nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks