Weird plumbing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Lee

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a weird problem I'm trying to isolate where the problem is. I have low water when I have more than one faucet on. When both faucets is on I also get water hammer. I checked my water pressure and it is showing 100 psi when nothing else is open. I don't have a water hammer arrester I can add one but that still doesn't resolve my water pressure issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

Reach4

Reaction score
Water hammer is a bang that occurs when a valve shuts off the water quickly.

Regarding your low pressure, that suggests a blockage of some sort. Is the flow better on hot, cold, or the same?

When you have those faucets on, causing a pressure drop, what is the water pressure at the drain valve on the water heater? What is the water pressure on an outside faucet?

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV)?

Do you have a cartridge filter for the house?

Jim Lee

Reaction score
Water hammer is a bang that occurs when a valve shuts off the water quickly.

Regarding your low pressure, that suggests a blockage of some sort. Is the flow better on hot, cold, or the same?
The flow level is about the same for hot or cold

When you have those faucets on, causing a pressure drop, what is the water pressure at the drain valve on the water heater?
I checked my outside water hose pressure it was a 100 with no other faucet open. When I open 1 faucet it dropped to 40, then if I open 2 it drops down to 20. I didnt check the drain valve by the hot water.

What is the water pressure on an outside faucet? The water pressure outside is 100.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV)? Yes I do have a Pressure Reducing valve. I want to adjusted higher but i am already at 100 psi. Should I adjusted to higher PSI?

Do you have a cartridge filter for the house? No. I dont

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Make sure all the valves are fully open. Low flow might be because a valve is partly closed or piping could be undersized etc. Sounds like you got some sort of flow restriction somewhere.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pull the faucet aerator it's probably stop up. The air chambers that are piped behind your walls are probable full of water. Shut main shut off open all valves let the house drain for a hour or two. 100 lbs pressure is hard on all valves.
Need a pressure reducing valve.

Jim Lee

Reaction score
Pull the faucet aerator it's probably stop up. The air chambers that are piped behind your walls are probable full of water. Shut main shut off open all valves let the house drain for a hour or two. 100 lbs pressure is hard on all valves.
Need a pressure reducing valve.

I do have a pressure reducing valve. I think they set it to 100 PSI. Should I adjust the setting lower and drain all the water?

Thanks
Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks