Navien Intelligent Preheating Setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Kal

Reaction score
Just had a Navien 240A installed with a thermal bypass valve for recirculation. The dip switches are set to:
1 - ON
2 - ON
which are the settings for Intelligent Preheating per the manual.

My question is if Parameter 17 (for thermal bypass valve) should be set to On or Off. It is currently set to OFF and my plumber said that is how they always set things up. Tried calling Navien Tech Support to confirm but they won't answer these types of questions for the homeowner :(. Can anyone here help based on your experience?

SoCal Plumber

Reaction score
Just had a Navien 240A installed with a thermal bypass valve for recirculation. The dip switches are set to:
1 - ON
2 - ON

My question is if Parameter 17 (for thermal bypass valve) should be set to On or Off. It is currently set to OFF and my plumber said that is how they always set things up. Tried calling Navien Tech Support to confirm but they won't answer these types of questions for the homeowner :(. Can anyone here help based on your experience?

If you haven’t stumbled across the information, Yes P17 should be on. This allows the Navien to heat water at lower flow rate. With P17 turned off, the flow rate (GPM) is set higher. Meaning the pump could be on and moving water but the flow sensor inside the unit will not start the combustion process because it does not know, sense, that there is a “demand” for hot water.

Kal

Reaction score
Thank you SoCal Plumber! Any recommendation whether to use the intelligent preheating mode vs the regular recirculation mode?

Schmak01

Reaction score
Thank you SoCal Plumber! Any recommendation whether to use the intelligent preheating mode vs the regular recirculation mode?

I'm not sure if you ever got a reply, we just had the NPE 240A - NG installed and it looks like the tech set P17 to disabled. They set it to the smart pump but no idea how long that takes, wife has no patience for waiting weeks for it to figure out when we need hot water, so she wants it running constantly. Trying to figure that out and set it to do so.

Monguila

Reaction score
1 - ON
2 - ON

Switch 1 should also be off. So, switch 2 ON, P17 ON.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Switch 1 should also be off. So, switch 2 ON, P17 ON.
Correct, you will use only one, either pre-heating (internal recirculation) or external recirculation; not both.
Since you have the Navicirc (thermal bypass valve) installed you will be relying on external recirculation.
Post a pic of the plumbing connections to your unit and a pic of the bypass valve if you can; (just curious).

Bannerman

Reaction score
As you are using NaviCirc, then your home's cold water piping will supply the recirculation return path back to the water heater. The cold water supply piping will then need to connect to the Domestic water supply and the Recirculation supply connections.

There will also need to be a check valve installed in the Domestic Water supply pipe below the unit. The check valve is specified on page 12 of the NaviCirc Manual.

Pages from NaviCirc_manual_190613.jpg

Monguila

Reaction score
I just finished running a dedicated return line to the WH, as I was getting tired of hot water in the cold line. Navien also told me that Navicerc restricts water flow.

I am in San Diego County, where the chances of below freezing temperatures are minimum. I ran 3/4" CPVC on the outside wall from the back of the house to the garage in the front, where the WH is. The total run was 120'. Dip switch 2 is ON and parameter 17 is off.

Regarding the "learning" feature, Navien told me that, unless the hot water usage is consistent, the results may be erratic. I turned the feature off and run the recirculation pump on a schedule, using the remote control.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks