Leaking water heater flex fitting, 2 DIY questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ufgatorpolo

Reaction score
This is the line leading from a water heater to the thermal overflow tank. We have a leak at this point, somewhere inside the connection. I'm wondering if the best plan is to loosen this connection, replace the gasket/ rubber washer that I'm assuming is inside there, teflon tape, and tighten.

Otherwise (and also) I'm trying to figure out the black- band connections used here, which are not compression fittings (turn a screw) and resemble a zip ties but with no obvious ratchet or anything else. It's just a band around the fitting.

Thanks in advance, and I'm now at the mercy of the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6418.jpg
    IMG_6418.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 136

Reach4

Reaction score
Otherwise (and also) I'm trying to figure out the black- band connections used here, which are not compression fittings (turn a screw) and resemble a zip ties but with no obvious ratchet or anything else. It's just a band around the fitting.
Those are PEX crimp connections.

It looks to me as if the leak is on the bottom nut on the copper connector. If so, I would try giving that leaking brass nut another 1/8 turn. If that doesn't do it, maybe apply a little pipe dope and tighten again. There should be no tape.

ufgatorpolo

Reaction score
Those are PEX crimp connections.

It looks to me as if the leak is on the bottom nut on the copper connector. If so, I would try giving that leaking brass nut another 1/8 turn. If that doesn't do it, maybe apply a little pipe dope and tighten again. There should be no tape.

Pipe dope and tightened last night. Looks good this morning. Appreciate the time, and I learned something with "PEX crimp".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks