Pump cycling often and not filling pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Walker

Reaction score
I have water in the house but noticed pressure going up and down when faucet is opened
Replaced bad pressure tank (ruptured bladder)
Pump ( 30 years old) is above ground and well water level is maybe 12 feet down
New tank has clear hose and when pump runs no water goes into tank
Pump is cycling on and off and pressure goes quickly back and forth between abt 35 and 55,
Have water in the house.
Not sure what to make of this

Reach4

Reaction score
Replaced bad pressure tank (ruptured bladder)
Pump ( 30 years old) is above ground and well water level is maybe 12 feet down
New tank has clear hose and when pump runs no water goes into tank
What is the air precharge set to? Precharge is always set with the waster pressure zero. Set your air precharge initially to 30 psi.

How big is your pressure tank, or what model is it?

Robert Walker

Reaction score
What is the air precharge set to? Precharge is always set with the waster pressure zero. Set your air precharge initially to 30 psi.

How big is your pressure tank, or what model is it?
32 gallon from home depot abt 16" diameter and 40 some high. Preset to 33 if I remember right

an hour and a half before posting here I was pounding on the pipes at the pump and rapping the pressure switch. Came in and surfed the net about well stuff. Went out to see what's up and damned if it wasn't working right. Tapping side of the tank its 1/3 full. Seems like it should be higher.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
32 gallon from home depot abt 16" diameter and 40 some high. Preset to 33 if I remember right

an hour and a half before posting here I was pounding on the pipes at the pump and rapping the pressure switch. Came in and surfed the net about well stuff. Went out to see what's up and damned if it wasn't working right. Tapping side of the tank its 1/3 full. Seems like it should be higher.
One third full of water at max is a lot.

If there is a stutter in the water pressure when the pump is turning on, reduce the air precharge a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks