How to replace cast iron toilet flange on concrete floor

Users who are viewing this thread

tala9999

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the broken rusted cast iron toilet flange in my basement. I think it's joined by lead to the drain pipe. I tried to drill through the lead join but it's really thick, about 2 inches. Also tried to torch the joint for few minutes but the lead doesn't seem to melt either. I saw some people using grinder to cut the flange and remove it piece by piece.

Can you advise what is the way to remove the flange?

Another question is the size of the toilet drain pipe. Mine looks like 3 1/2 inches (picture below) instead of 3 inches or 4 inches. Not sure I can use any of these because they are 3 inches or 4 inches:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-3-In-PVC-Twist-N-Set-Closet-Flange/50315029
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-4-In-Twist-N-Set-PVC-Toilet-Bowl-Flange/50315037

Thank you.
index.php

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 6,148
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would be thinking of putting a 3 inch Danco Hydro Seat on top of the finished flooring, and keep what you have now. That is like repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under. Normally the toilet just goes on top of that.

Alternatively, use a repair ring with ears to hold down the toilet.

If your objective is to remove the ring, keep drilling, and don't give up so easily. The lead is only in the top inch or so of the slot. But as you point out, once you get that off, then what?

tala9999

Reaction score
I would be thinking of putting a 3 inch Danco Hydro Seat on top of the finished flooring, and keep what you have now. That is like repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under. Normally the toilet just goes on top of that.

Alternatively, use a repair ring with ears to hold down the toilet.

If your objective is to remove the ring, keep drilling, and don't give up so easily. The lead is only in the top inch or so of the slot. But as you point out, once you get that off, then what?

The reason I want to remove it is to replace it by the plastic one. However, I believe the finished floor will be higher than that so I think you are right, I just need to put the new one on top of the old flange and leave it there. Just thinking how to attach the repair ring to the broken flange.

BTW, can someone tell whether my drain pipe is 3 inches or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
The reason I want to remove it is to replace it by the plastic one. However, I believe the finished floor will be higher than that so I think you are right, I just need to put the new one on top of the old flange and leave it there. Just thinking how to attach the repair ring to the broken flange.
The repair ring and the Hydroseat both have legs/ears that you can screw into the surrounding concrete. I like Tapcon screws. They sell the right drill next to the screws, or possibly bundled with the screws.

I am thinking Tapcon 3/16 in. x 2-1/4
I would like to have the hex head, but the Phillips head is more readily available in 3/16 locally.

Others prefer lead anchors for concrete. Those may have advantages, but I have not used them.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/c0/c063f0ba-e028-42fd-9652-a519dfcf1198.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Many of the post offices were built WPA era and had a Durham system

Easiest way is to carefully cut out the entire flange and use an inside caulked one

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks