IPC Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
For showers I always use a 2" waste pipe then I read the IPC code NYC has adopted and I find it confusing

"SECTION 417 SHOWERS 417.1 Approval. Prefabricated showers and shower compartments shall conform to ASME A112.19.2/CSA B45.1 or CSA B45.5/IAPMO Z124. Shower valves for individual showers shall conform to the requirements of Section 424.3. 417.2 Water supply riser. Water supply risers from the shower valve to the shower head outlet, whether exposed or concealed, shall be attached to the structure. The attachment to the structure shall be made by the use of support devices designed for use with the specific piping material or by fittings anchored with screws. 417.3 Shower waste outlet. Waste outlets serving showers shall be not less than 11 /2 inches (38 mm) in diameter "

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Years ago the UPC and IPC agreed to a merger, but when it was put to a vote by the IPC contractors it was rejected. They wanted to keep the IPC the way it was, because joining with the UPC would have required a lot of "upgrading" to the way they were doing things. I call the IPC the "do anything you want to" code, because it seems that if you want to 'cut a corner', the code can be revised to make it legal. Which is why it allows a 1 1/2" shower drain. The UPC ALSO allowed it for about a year and then reverted back to the 2" standard.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The size of the p-trap depends on the gpm rating of the shower head. Its in the drainage section of the code.

What if someone changes the shower head to allow for more flow then what?

A rub can hold water for controlled drainage a shower is not as deep so anything less then 2" is just plain crazy to install

We use 2" Cast iron for basin waste 2 x 1/2 taped Tee and 2" for kitchen sinks and 2" for tubs as it makes for easier snaking

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Years ago the UPC and IPC agreed to a merger, but when it was put to a vote by the IPC contractors it was rejected. They wanted to keep the IPC the way it was, because joining with the UPC would have required a lot of "upgrading" to the way they were doing things. I call the IPC the "do anything you want to" code, because it seems that if you want to 'cut a corner', the code can be revised to make it legal. Which is why it allows a 1 1/2" shower drain. The UPC ALSO allowed it for about a year and then reverted back to the 2" standard.

Thank you . NYC had an amazing code then the Bloomberg like everything else he get involved in such as politics he screws it up . The 1968 plumbing code was awesome which I still use as it is much better then the IPC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks