Pressure Tank Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed1154

Reaction score
If you already have a pressure tank and pressure switch, all you need is the CSV1A. If you need a tank, switch, CSV1A, and everything needed the PK1A kit has all of that.

Hey, since my small 1.5HP submersible (No idea what actual size) is in 20' of water and pumping back to the pressure tank in 1" SCH40 PVC, why am I not worried about blowing up the PVC pipe in that one like the concern before with the 50gpm?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, since my small 1.5HP submersible (No idea what actual size) is in 20' of water and pumping back to the pressure tank in 1" SCH40 PVC, why am I not worried about blowing up the PVC pipe in that one like the concern before with the 50gpm?
1.5 hp pump seems excessive. Your 1.5 hp pump could generate too much pressure. Why would a 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump not be a better fit for your pressure pump to the house?

You would not want to thread schedule 4o pipe. Are you talking glued pipe?

index.php

Put a flow inducer on the pump. It is simple and cheap. Pump down switch turns this pump off if cistern is low. In series with pressure switch.

Pump up switch controls what you need to do to limit filling the cistern, if that process is automated.
index.php

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

The concern about the 50 GPM pump was just imagined, not a real problem. A 1.5HP, 20 or 25 GPM pump can only build 138 PSI. But you could have a concern if it is a 10-15 GPM series pump, as they will build a lot of pressure.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Why would a 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump not be a better fit for your pressure pump to the house?

Simple. Because the pump listed is not what I have. LOL.

The pump is what was taken out of the well that now has a 50gpm. This was installed by the driller once he understood what we wanted to accomplish. It's PVC down to the pump and we have float switches like in your post.

Its easy to pull this pump by hand if we have problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Simple. Because the pump listed is not what I have. LOL.
Expect your pump to have two labels -- one on the motor part, and one one the "wet end". What does the one on the wet end say, particularly model number and gpm if present.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Expect your pump to have two labels -- one on the motor part, and one one the "wet end". What does the one on the wet end say, particularly model number and gpm if present.

Im hoping to get this info today. I'm pulling it. Ill post back as soon as I have the info.

Reach4

Reaction score
Im hoping to get this info today. I'm pulling it. Ill post back as soon as I have the info.
This removed 1.5 HP pump currently is in service in another job, I think you are saying.

A 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump is perhaps the cheapest submersible pump you can buy.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since your pulling it anyway, you can always put a 1HP, 3/4HP or 1/2HP wet end on that 1.5HP motor if needed. I am guessing it will be a 10 GPM series 1.5HP which will build way more pressure than you need as they are designed to pump from pretty deep wells.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Pump inside cistern is on SCH 80 1.25" Pipe and in no more than about 18' of water.

Franklin 2145089009
Grundfos 10S10-15, 1HP 10 USGPM

EDIT: To correct Grundfos Model Number

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah that pump will build 250 PSI. Plus it needs a minimum of about 100 PSI on it to keep from upthrusting. You could use a 10 GPM Dole valve, but even those are only good to 125 PSI differential. Best to put a 25 GPM pump end or 10 GPM, 3/4HP pump end on that 1.5 HP motor. Then the pump will be working in a good spot on the curve when using a 40/60 switch.

Another idea is to use two of the CSV1A valves. Two are needed to stair step the pressure down from 250 to 50 without wearing out the CSV. Plus the second CSV1A will add enough friction loss that it will keep the pump from upthrusting. But you would only need one CSV1A with the 25 GPM pump end or the 10 GPM, 3/4HP pump end.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Pump inside cistern is on SCH 80 1.25" Pipe and in no more than about 18' of water.

Franklin 2145089009
Grundfos 10610-15, 1HP 10 USGPM
Put an in-well CSV directly on the pump outlet and the PVC pipe won't see holdback pressure.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Any way to do this with ONE CSV? Just not enough money leftover in this project after water filtration requirements to do it otherwise. I may have to just use it as is for a while.

This pump/motor pumps water from 20 feet in the ground up to ground level and then about 100' in 1.25" PVC to the pressure tank, if that changes anything.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would not use a pump that was made for 500' to pump from 20'. You would be much better off selling that pump to someone that needs it and get a smaller pump for the cistern. You can get a 1HP, 33GPM Hallmark for about 150 bucks. Even that cheap pump would be better than using the wrong size pump.

Jed1154

Reaction score
I understand. Unfortunately, there were some unforseen issues with this project that blew the budget here. A new well pump is simply not going to happen when we have a perfectly functional pump in it now.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That $150 pump would save you a lot of hassle and electricity. You should be able to sell that deep well pump for much more than that. Those are expensive pumps for someone who needs it.

Jed1154

Reaction score
It's no hassle. It's powered. It's plumbed. We fill up the tank and literally flip a switch. That's why we aren't changing it. We have a 1HP 10GPM pump....but I'm being advised to pull that and change it to a 1HP, 33GPM Hallmark for about 150 bucks??

This makes zero sense to me. Anyway, like I said, I don't make the call and there is no way anyone is onboard with that decision as this is ready to go as is. The well installer did this work a a few years ago and they did all of the consulting with their 'pump book'. These guys are quite well respected locally so again, I'm not going to convince anyone this is 'bad'. Good news is pumps are cheap and in stock at tractor supply if it blows up!

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Makes perfect sense! Your 10S10-15 is designed to work in a 300' deep well. Pumping from a storage tank that 1HP will only deliver abour 12 GPM max. Because there is no lift a 1HP can easily pump 33 GPM for the same electric bill. But you need a 33 GPM pump end on that 1HP motor to make that happen. Plus with the 10S10-15 pump you need a Dole valve to hold back about 100 PSI to make that pump think it is at least 100' deep to keep it from being damaged by upthrust. I understand wanting to use what you already have, but that is like putting a huge window unit air conditioner in a VW Bug.
window AC car.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks