Hello - I'm just a homeowner who's done something dumb, and needs help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim Klein

Reaction score
I was trying to clean hair out of the tub drain (one of the flip lever type with a screen thing over the drain) using one of those plastic zip-it things? Well, the zip-it caught on the crossbars of the drain and about half the %)_(@!! thing broke off and is in the drain. I immediately flipped the lever to try and keep the zipit from going down the drain (so to speak) but now I need to see if I can get it out. I have a small diameter snake I could use, but I have to get the drain out as it won't go past the cross bars, and I'm not sure I'm strong enough to do that.... I gave it a whirl yesterday and got nowhere. :confused:

I have read where heating the thing to soften up the old plumbers putty would help - is that true? Is there anything ELSE I should try other than to snag it with a snake? I was actually thinking a long flexible spring might work too - it might be easier to catch the teeth on the broken piece of zip-it with a spring...

I would sure appreciate any advice you'd care to offer!! I'm so mad that this happened:mad:; I should have been more careful. Halp a lady out? :) Thank you!

Kim Klein

Reaction score
Can you see the Zip-it? A picture might help of what you are up against.
No I can't. that's why I closed triplever on the drain to try and (hopefully) keep it from sliding down into the pipe....A picture isn't really gonna show you anything but a tub drain. ;)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't put a torch to soften up the old plumbers putty. Old putty is brittle with no moisture left in it so heat won't do a thing. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to remove a tub drain from the top. After you get the drain out you have more room to use a wire hanger bent with a hook or get one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEas...emover-Drain-Snake-in-Chrome-PF0405/302873178

grabeasy-brushes-pf0405-64_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks