Water pressure causing fridge to act up

Users who are viewing this thread

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
We seem to have some sort of water pressure issue in our pipes. Our fridge water dispenser works find 80% of the time and then sometimes, it’ll stop dispensing and make a loud, grinding sound. In those moments, if we turn on our facet in the kitchen, I can tell there’s a lot of water pressure in the pipes. We leave it running then can fill our cup no problem from the fridge fine.

Is this a fridge problem or a plumbing problem? Our home was built in 2012 and we have a boiler system for in floor heating and our hot water heater. The past year I’ve felt like our shower pressure has gotten softer but my husband thinks I’m crazy.

Anybody have any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a garden hose thread pressure gauge. They are cheap and readily available. Attach to a laundry connection, outside spigot, or drain on water heater.

Expect the max to be after taking a hot shower, and then you stop using water. If the pressure rises much over 80 at that time, you need a thermal expansion tank. If it is high other times, you need a pressure reducing valve if you have city water.

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
So I just had a plumber come out and he checked the pressure at it was at 75. However, the shower hadn't been running. He didn't seem like I needed to do that. But then I said, leave the gauge and I'll check it after I shower later but he said to wait 40 minutes after the shower so the water heater finishes re-heating. Based on what you said, I feel like that defeats the purpose, right?

In the end, he said he could install an expansion tank but he doesn't think that will fix my refrigerator water dispenser issue because even with tanks, there's still a fluctuation in pressure. He said based on where we live in the city, we shouldn't have high pressure. I don't know what to think now.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I just had a plumber come out and he checked the pressure at it was at 75. However, the shower hadn't been running. He didn't seem like I needed to do that. But then I said, leave the gauge and I'll check it after I shower later but he said to wait 40 minutes after the shower so the water heater finishes re-heating. Based on what you said, I feel like that defeats the purpose, right?
I would expect a peak in pressure when the WH cuts off. If that is 40 minutes of running, then 4o minutes is good. I have not timed my gas WH time to cut back off. I expect an electric would run longer.

Some gauges have a tattletale (lazy) hand to record the peak seen, so you don't have to pick a time. They are subject to vibrations making that hand move though. Also a spike in pressure can propel the hand too high. WH heating will not cause a spike.
098268159950.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-Brass-3-4-in-Mght-Pressure-Relief-Valve/1001063062

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
Is there a water filter on the refrigerator water line? If there is, it might need changing.
We changed the fridge regular water filter out thinking that was the problem but it kept acting up. I don't know about a filter on the actual water line. I didn't notice anything when I pulled the fridge out and looked at the hoses. Are you referring to the hoses? Or the filter that's inside the fridge?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- Is there a PRV (pressure reducing valve) around where your main water supply line enters the house?
- Are you on city water?
- Can you ask your immediate neighbors if they experience similar conditions?

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
- Is there a PRV (pressure reducing valve) around where your main water supply line enters the house?
- Are you on city water?
- Can you ask your immediate neighbors if they experience similar conditions?

Neighbors pressure seems fine. I am on city water so I don't think I have a PRV because the city controls the pressure, right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Neighbors pressure seems fine. I am on city water so I don't think I have a PRV because the city controls the pressure, right?
Yes and no. Many people on city water need PRVs. Depends on altitude for one thing.

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
I just used my water pressure gauge after a shower and when I turned the water on it shot up to 130 and then backed off to 65. What does that mean?

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
Okay, I just did it again after watching a video, leaving the water on into the gauge and it holds at 120. My plumber said he could install an expansion tank b/c we only have one for our boiler, not our domestic water...but he's not sure that will solve the problem with our fridge because even with an expansion tank, there's pressure fluctuations.
I guess I'm at a loss. Is this something I should mention to the city? I'm in South Dakota, it's the dead of Winter here so I can only imagine pressure will get higher in the summer with everyone running their spinklers and stuff. I'm sure the city keeps the water tower full during those times.
Anybody have any other ideas?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tried removing the built in filter to see if the water will work without the filter being in place? . . . Also what refrigerator do you have?

Aimes Daws

Reaction score
Have you tried removing the built in filter to see if the water will work without the filter being in place? . . . Also what refrigerator do you have?

What do you mean by "built in filter"? The one we replace every few months? The water won't run w/o a filter in there. Our fridge is a GE.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks