Commercial water heater dielectric union

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith R

Reaction score
I'm the facilities manager at a not-for-profit youth center. I need to deal with three 1 1/2" dielectric unions (code requirement) on two 100 gal. water heaters. At least they appear to be 1 1/2". In each case a ring of corrosion has formed around the steel side of the union/galvanized nipple threaded joint. These joints each show a tiny leak at this point.

What is the best way to confirm the i.d of the pipes without disassembling the system? Are they really 1 1/2" or maybe 1 1/4"?

Can I replace only the galvanized nipple from the water heater body in each case and re-use the steel side of the union with a new flat rubber ring seal?

Is there any likelihood that the galvanized nipples are actually attached to important inside parts of the water heaters (anode?)? Two of the corroded unions are bottom/side mounted inlets, one is the top mounted outlet. The outlet of one water heater shows no corrosion.

If I have to replace the unions in total, I'd like to use Shark Bite couplings since the current press ring couplings don't leave a lot of room to work and I don't want to risk melting their O-rings by trying to sweat 1 1/2" couplers in the lines (my large diameter sweating skills are suspect anyway).

Am I missing anything I need to pay attention to?

Thanks.

dielectric-union-4-years-old.jpg

This is a 3/4 dielectric union, four years old.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the best way to confirm the i.d of the pipes without disassembling the system? Are they really 1 1/2" or maybe 1 1/4"?
Presume the pipes are schedule 40. Use a digital caliper to measure the OD. It will be 1.66 or 1.90.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks