Flex gas connector required on heater in California

Users who are viewing this thread

Chango

Reaction score
I read somewhere that flex connectors on heaters were advised on the west coast for seismic reasons. Is this required by code and is it normal to use a flex connector between the building pipe and the drip leg/black pipe nipples at heater? I would like to go black pipe all the way but i am trying to determine what is required and/or customary.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're in earthquake country. We use gas flex for water heaters. The drip leg is good.

tremor-map-2021-02-01.jpg

Last edited:

Chango

Reaction score
You're in earthquake country. We use gas flex for water heaters. The drip leg is good.

thanks. I have currently gone pipe all the way to a tankless and to the furnace. See attached images. Would you suggest modifying these and putting flex connectors in on both?

Attachments

• C32E1BA5-0298-4C84-9FEB-A6CAE1496CEC.jpeg
    C32E1BA5-0298-4C84-9FEB-A6CAE1496CEC.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 329
  • 60F8A7E3-4D3D-439A-BEB2-AF1E316DDC9E.jpeg
    60F8A7E3-4D3D-439A-BEB2-AF1E316DDC9E.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
thanks. I have currently gone pipe all the way to a tankless and to the furnace. See attached images. Would you suggest modifying these and putting flex connectors in on both?

No.
The issue with the water heater is mass. Your smaller appliances will roll and shake with the house.
Pay lots of attention to the required strapping for the tank water heater.

See Chapter 5 of the CPC
https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2016/chapter/5/water-heaters#5

You want as little flex as practical, and be sure to use a quality flex line with more than one layer,
not any sort of singlewall:
http://www.ienga.com/articles/204-risk-of-lightning-based-fires-with-csst-gas-lines-continued
To cut down lightning risk.
Bond everything properly.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
All that pipe work looks real nice, The only problem is when there is a slight SHAKE
nothing Big but just enough to LOOSEN that union just a tad ! and then the gas start leaking and the WHOLE HOUSE GOES BANG !

Sorry did not see how old this post stated out, but still holds true for any other DIY'S

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks