Toilet & Shower Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh Weight

Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on a bathroom remodel and have a toilet and shower right next to eachother. I am wondering if my plan shown below will provide adequate venting for both the shower and toilet? Just getting a little confused as to where the vent should be located. Thanks in advance.

upload_2020-1-14_16-5-39.png

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can do that but the shower drain must be at the same elevation as the toilet drain so the wet vent ties in horizontally. No vertical offsets on a wet vent allowed. " The horizontal pipe acting as the wet vent may not have vertical offsets".

Last edited:

Josh Weight

Reaction score
You can do that but the shower drain must be at the same elevation as the toilet drain so the wet vent ties in horizontally. No vertical offsets on a wet vent allowed. " The horizontal pipe acting as the wet vent may not have vertical offsets".

Well dang that's a bummer. Any suggestions on a different configuration? The shower trap comes out at a higher elevation than the closet bend and I don't want to drop the shower trap any more or else it won't be within the floor cavity.

Josh Weight

Reaction score

I got it all dry fitted together and I was able to get that shower drain to come in horizontal. Any way you could check out my pictures below and verify that I did it correctly? I greatly appreciate your time and expertise.

On a side note, I am a structural engineer and if you ever need any engineering help I would love to return the favor :)

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That should work. Here I would need the combo looking up for the vent, but some places are okay with the santee. They used to be okay with that here too when I started off plumbing.

Josh Weight

Reaction score
That should work. Here I would need the combo looking up for the vent, but some places are okay with the santee. They used to be okay with that here too when I started off plumbing.

Thanks very much!

Mike Rock

Reaction score
On a side note, are you allowed to roll the wye up at bit and have the wet vent come in to the toilet drain a bit above horizontal?
Or does it have to come in at same horizontal axis as the toilet drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is the first time I have ever heard of "no vertical offsets on a wet vent", because i used to do it all the time. In fact, the inspectors preferred it that way,

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
So for a wet vent , it looks like you can roll the horizontal wet vent WYE up a bit in the pic below if you wanted to , but no more than 45 degrees, correct?

index.php

Yup. whenever a horizontal drain is tied into another horizontal drain the fitting is rolled up slightly to allow the connecting drain line to start off with the proper grade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks