Well continues to fail - Control Box?

Users who are viewing this thread

WilliamWWhitworth

Reaction score
We've lived on our property for about 4 years now. The well setup is weird and I didn't mess with it the first couple years until a pressure switch failed.
The way they wired the pressure switch to the control box is this:
They ran one leg of the 220V straight to the L1 of the control box, the other leg (L2) they ran one leg of a 2 wire to the pressure switch line 1 and then returned it with load 1 to complete the 220Volts to the control box.

Could this, one leg being constantly hot, be causing continued failure of the capacitor in the well control box?

upload_2020-1-16_11-16-16.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It should not but I had a AC unit I was fixing for a co-worker and within two weeks the second start capacitor failed. I also suspected the same reason as your are for the failures. I remove the SPST relay to a DPST relay to to open both hot leads as all new AC units now have. There are 220v pressure switches so you can open both legs. Only opening one side and the pump not running gives a false sense of security that the power is off to the pump (for servicing) and it is not. I would change it out. It doesn't cost much and easy enough to do.

A moderator on this forum,"valveman", has his business in Lubbock, Tx. Maybe he'll comment on this.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks Worth! As has been said it is safer to cut both hot legs, but is not what is causing your problem. Starting capacitors and pressure switches fail when the pump is starting too often and too many times. A pump Start/stop is called a "Cycle". Eliminating the cycling is the best (only) way to make pumps and equipment last longer. Funny thing, some people who you would think might be really good pump men will tell you cycling doesn't hurt a pump. Cycling is the biggest killer of every component in a pump system, and "pump guys" who don't understand that look pretty foolish! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks