DWV plan for new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

MattF

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding a new bathroom to my basement. I have limited (none) experience with new plumbing layouts. I think what I plan to do should be ok. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around wet venting. I've attached a drawing of my plans for the DWV plumbing. Anyone willing to have a look and see if there are any problems with this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bathroom plan.jpg
    bathroom plan.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 307

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would wye off for the shower and use a 2" combo up to a 2×1.5" santee and arm over to the lav. The 2" wet vents the toilet.

MattF

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! Really enjoy your website. It's been a great resource for me.

I foolishly went ahead and started today. I've attached a picture of what I have so far. Big orange cap on the toilet stub, small orange cap on pipe that will go to the lav, vent will continue on straight up from the vertical pipe (inside the wall). Shower will be on the right. The two inch pipe going from the shower to the main three inch line is about 4 feet long, I figured that was short enough to get away with using the vent from the lav. I'll pick up the parts to connect the vent with the shower line tomorrow.

IMG_20180507_181826.jpg

Thanks again,
Matt

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower isn't vented that way. The lav goes off the shower and not the toilet at hat point.
If you're keeping it that way, the shower needs to be vented before it enters the toilet drain downstream of the venting.

Stereo

Reaction score
I, too, am still trying to understand horizontal wet vents. Since the shower drain enters the main drain horizontally, I thought the lav vent would provide the air for the shower drain via a horizontal wet vent, but obviously, I’m wrong. Can you please explain to us neophytes why the “lav goes off the shower” rather than the shower going off the lav? Thank you for any clarity you can provide.

Reach4

Reaction score
I, too, am still trying to understand horizontal wet vents. Since the shower drain enters the main drain horizontally, I thought the lav vent would provide the air for the shower drain via a horizontal wet vent, but obviously, I’m wrong. Can you please explain to us neophytes why the “lav goes off the shower” rather than the shower going off the lav? Thank you for any clarity you can provide.
IPC is usually more permissive than UPC. https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf I think the picture on page 12 would not be allowed under UPC.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sizes of all your drains is good. Unless you want to tear everything out and start over so you have a proper wet vent system, just run a vent off the shower drain and tie it into the lav drain.

Stereo

Reaction score
Anyone with knowledge of the IPC could answer, but my last post was in response to Reach4. I asking whether MattF's layout is acceptable under the IPC.

Reach4

Reaction score
So under the IPC, which I’m under, this configuration would work, correct?
I think so based on that link, if MattF's pipe sized are big enough. Is the vent from the lav 2 inch feeding a combo? Maybe there is some reason this considered different than that page 12. I am not sure.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks