PRV vibration

Users who are viewing this thread

kami25

Reaction score
I had a PRV that was leaking. Replaced it and things seemed fine for a few days. After that I started getting humming, vibrations in the pipes whenever a a faucet or water source was opened. It went away or seemed to if two or more faucets were opened at same time. No noise when water was off. No hammering. Drained the pipes of air. Was fine for a few days then sounds came back. Turned the pressure up to sixty PSI. Was fine for a few days and the noises came back but not as loud. I put in another new PRV and the story repeated itself. Any suggestions on what to do next?

kami25

Reaction score
Not the fixtures. The pipes are so loud it will wake you in the middle of the night if someone uses the water. The city came out and replaced the meter and could hear it from outside the house. The meter made it a little quieter but it is still too annoying to just ignore. Copper pipes, house built in the early 80's. Never had this issue before. Made a call to the plumber and he said it sounds like a bad PRV. Can't believe I could get two bad ones.

kami25

Reaction score
So you are thinking that turning off the main caused some debris to come loose and go to all the outlet? That sounds interesting, but do you think that would cause such loud pipe noise? I will check when I get off work . Thanks

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you are thinking that turning off the main caused some debris to come loose and go to all the outlet? That sounds interesting, but do you think that would cause such loud pipe noise? I will check when I get off work . Thanks

I'm just guessing at this point. Can't diagnose it without actually being there.
Check your hose bibs for loose internal parts or maybe a pipe just came loose in the wall.

kami25

Reaction score
Took an aerator off and ran the water. Loud humming vibrating. Last night through this morning no sound, or at least not noticeable, but now back as loud as ever. Just when I think it is fixed it starts up again. Plumber suggested that it could be the city’s back flow preventer. Any thought on this? Thanks

Mliu

Reaction score
Post a photo of your PRV installation, showing the piping before and after the PRV.

kami25

Reaction score
Original was put in by a licensed plumber about 12 years ago. It is located against the foundation wall.
D1E2915F-51A3-4350-ACAB-63B509C7D218.jpeg
D1E2915F-51A3-4350-ACAB-63B509C7D218.jpeg

Mliu

Reaction score
What was the make and model of the old one? What are the make(s) and model(s) of the two new replacements?

Mliu

Reaction score
I take it you no longer have the old one since you didn't give the model. That's unfortunate because you could have put it back in service for diagnostic purposes.

The easiest way to determine if the new PRV is causing the problem is to remove it from your system and see if that eliminates the vibrations.

Btw, do you have an expansion tank on the inlet to your water heater?

kami25

Reaction score
No, on the tank. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the noise started after messing with the prv. Almost 25 years in this house and never a problem with the plumbing noise. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Mliu

Reaction score
First thing is, you MUST have an expansion tank. Most PRV's (and many new service meters, act as one-way check valves. Without an expansion tank, the pressure will get very high from the water expanding in your water heater. The high pressure is enough to cause substantial plumbing damage (and is likely the reason your original PRV started leaking). If the PTR valve on your heater fails, the pressure can cause the tank to explode which could destroy your house and kill the occupants.

As far as diagnosing your vibration perv problem, the best way is by process of elimination. Since you first noticed the vibration after putting in the new PRV, then you should take it out and see if the vibration stops. You can plumb a pipe with a valve to bypass around the PRV or you can remove the PRV and install a temporary pipe in its place.

Btw, what is the water pressure coming from the street?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks