Submersible pump sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

ETF

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in Longview Texas and have a hand dug well on my land that is 25ft deep and 12ft to top of the water.
It is 28 inches in diameter.

I want to water a garden that is 300ft away (flat surface from well to garden).

Would a 1/2hp 10gpm 150ft head submersible pump work with this?
I'm only doing drip irrigation so no high pressure impact sprinklers will be used.

So I will have to push the water 12 ft to the surface then 300ft to the faucet.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. Is that going to be with a hose on the ground, or will you bury a pipe?

If 5/8 inch garden hoses strung together, a 7 gpm 1/2 HP pump might deliver more water. With 1 inch poly or PVC, the 10 gpm pump should do nicely. The 7 gpm pump costs more, and 10 gpm pump will deliver plenty of water.

It would be best to use a flow inducer sleeve. The pump can go horizontal if it fits your needs better.

ETF

Reaction score

If 5/8 inch garden hoses strung together, a 7 gpm 1/2 HP pump might deliver more water. With 1 inch poly or PVC, the 10 gpm pump should do nicely. The 7 gpm pump costs more, and 10 gpm pump will deliver plenty of water.

It would be best to use a flow inducer sleeve. The pump can go horizontal if it fits your needs better.

I planned on burying 1" PEX for the entire 300ft run. This 1" PEX will be housed in a 1.5" PVC pipe for ease of replacement in the future (I won't have to dig that trench again).

Those well pumps look longer than 30 inches so I didn't think I could lay it sideways.
I was thinking standing it up top to bottom.

I'd like to say thank you for your reply as well.

ETF

Reaction score
Can you link me to the 7gpm pump you had in mind

ETF

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip. I want to lay my pump horizontal so will the inducer sleeve still work for me?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes a flow inducer sleeve is a good idea. At that depth and pressure a 10 GPM, 1/2HP will pump about 12-14 GPM. You will either need to match every drip zone to 12-14 GPM or use a Cycle Stop Valve to vary the flow to match the amount being used. A CSV will keep the pressure steady and not let the pump cycle even when using as little as 1 GPM. The CSV will let you set up drip zones from 1 GPM to 14 GPM, and the CSV will save the pump from excessive cycling.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub sized.jpg

ETF

Reaction score
Thanks again
My emitters will be 1gpHOUR so total I am thinking maximum of 300gph every twelve hours.

I'll do the sleeve and the CSV.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if you need to worry about thermal effects for your pvc pipe. http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ExpansionandContraction.pdf

I do wonder how hard it would be to thread 1 inch PEX through 1.5 inch PVC. How about putting the water through the PVC directly?

Expect about 22 psi drop at 10gpm through your 0.875 ID 1 inch PEX. Expect maybe 5 psi through the CSV at 10 gpm.
The drop through 1 inch PVC would be less, and the drop through 1.5 inch PVC would be much less. 22 psi of pressure drop is about 50 ft, and 27 psi would be about 62 ft of head. Using the 80 ft column in the table below. This both complicates and agrees with Cary's comments.

With drip, your flow needs may be much less than 10 gpm, and the CSV will allow you to not have to carefully choose the drip nozzles to match the source.

A 5/8 garden hose would have had a lot more backpressure, so no need for a 7 gpm pump with 1 inch pex (like putting a car into lower gear compared to a 10 gpm pump).

index.php

ETF

Reaction score
I don't know if you need to worry about thermal effects for your pvc pipe. http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ExpansionandContraction.pdf

I do wonder how hard it would be to thread 1 inch PEX through 1.5 inch PVC. How about putting the water through the PVC directly?

Expect about 22 psi drop at 10gpm through your 0.875 ID 1 inch PEX. Expect maybe 5 psi through the CSV at 10 gpm.
The drop through 1 inch PVC would be less, and the drop through 1.5 inch PVC would be much less. 22 psi of pressure drop is about 50 ft, and 27 psi would be about 62 ft of head. Using the 80 ft column in the table below. This both complicates and agrees with Cary's comments.

With drip, your flow needs may be much less than 10 gpm, and the CSV will allow you to not have to carefully choose the drip nozzles to match the source.

A 5/8 garden hose would have had a lot more backpressure, so no need for a 7 gpm pump with 1 inch pex (like putting a car into lower gear compared to a 10 gpm pump).

index.php

I can go up to 2 inch PVC as a conduit
The main reason for this is of something happens I don't want to have to retrench.

As far as garden hose, that will not be a long term solution for me so I don't want to go that route.

For my drip emitters that have very VERY low psi requirements.
In the neighborhood of 12-20 I believe.
Some emitters can be run simply off a rain barrel and gravity.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I like that pump laid sideways and zip tied to the PVC
I was thinking about laying the pipe sideways on a half of cinder block so it would be elevated 8 inches off the well floor
There is no mud at the bottom
Just very little sediment.

The picture is good but the pump still needs a flow inducer before attaching it with zip ties. I need a new picture. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a pretty low grade jet pump. However, it should lift from 24' like any jet pump. That 1/2HP, 25 GPM submersible is not a pressure pump. From that depth you could use the 33 GPM, 1HP Hallmark. Not that it is the best pump for what you are doing, but it is only 140 bucks.

ETF

Reaction score
That is a pretty low grade jet pump. However, it should lift from 24' like any jet pump. That 1/2HP, 25 GPM submersible is not a pressure pump. From that depth you could use the 33 GPM, 1HP Hallmark. Not that it is the best pump for what you are doing, but it is only 140 bucks.

Hallmark Industries MA0414X-7 Deep Well Submersible Pump, 1 hp, 110V, 60 Hz, 33 GPM, 207' Head, Stainless Steel, 4"

This pump?
I'll have to ship this China pump back anyway because it came in the mail today and had a big dent in the side of the casing.

I'll get the Hallmark instead.

To make it even better I got a $150 gift certificate at the office today so that's a free water pump

ETF

Reaction score

I'm doing one inch PEX direct bury
The line will be drained on Halloween so won't worry so much about freezing
https://ibb.co/0Bj0kB8

That's a pic of what it looks like now
I have to dig the trench and bury it
It's actually 400 feet

So this main line will be one inch throughout and the service lines will be 3/4 inch.
The pump is much stronger than the wells refresh rate so I have to be mindful and very careful of that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks