Expansion Tank Precharge Low

Users who are viewing this thread

WellNewb

Reaction score
Hey guys, injust received a new Amtrol expansion tank. The Precharge is supposed to be 38psi but when I tested it with 2 separate pressure guages, it measured 35.5psi.

Is it possible that the charge is reading low because it's been in transit for a few days out in the cold weather and I should just trust that it's precharged to the correct amount?

It's just weird that 2 separate pressure guages from different manufacturers would register 35.5psi.

Thanks a lot!

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey guys, injust received a new Amtrol expansion tank. The Precharge is supposed to be 38psi but when I tested it with 2 separate pressure guages, it measured 35.5psi.

Is it possible that the charge is reading low because it's been in transit for a few days out in the cold weather and I should just trust that it's precharged to the correct amount?
38 is unlikely to be the right amount either. City water, I presume. You want to set the air pressure to the same as the water pressure in your pipes when you have a faucet dribbling water. If that pressure varies during the day, I would try to set it to what it is max, if I knew that. Setting the air precharge to the same or 2 psi higher than the current water pressure will usually be near ideal.

So why was the number lower than the published factory precharge? Maybe the Schrader valve slowly leaks. The valve cap should stop that if it is tightened normally. Maybe the unit was in stock for a long while, and air diffused out. Maybe you have two tire gauges that read a little low.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just the change in room temperature can make that much difference. Nothing to worry about. If you have a gauge that reads decimals you are probably more accurate than the factory. This is why I always stay to the low side of a pre-charge. Too little is OK, too much is not.

WellNewb

Reaction score
38 is unlikely to be the right amount either. City water, I presume. You want to set the air pressure to the same as the water pressure in your pipes when you have a faucet dribbling water. If that pressure varies during the day, I would try to set it to what it is max, if I knew that. Setting the air precharge to the same or 2 psi higher than the current water pressure will usually be near ideal.

So why was the number lower than the published factory precharge? Maybe the Schrader valve slowly leaks. The valve cap should stop that if it is tightened normally. Maybe the unit was in stock for a long while, and air diffused out. Maybe you have two tire gauges that read a little low.

I have a well with a 40/60 pressure switch so the tank should be set at 38psi from what i understand.

WellNewb

Reaction score
I would tell you 35 for the reasons above. You air pressure gauge will not read the same as the water pressure gauge.

I'll just leave it alone then. Thanks for the input. It's an unfinished basement so the temps vary from 45 in winter to 70ish in summer. If its 35.5 now, I imagine it may be closer to 38 in the summer.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a well with a 40/60 pressure switch so the tank should be set at 38psi from what i understand.
Since you called it an expansion tank, I had incorrectly presumed city water.

If your precharge pressure is a bit high, it is not a big deal as long as you don't have a lever on your pressure switch. The symptom of too high is a momentary pressure dip when the pump turns on.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since you called it an expansion tank, I had incorrectly presumed city water.

If your precharge pressure is a bit high, it is not a big deal as long as you don't have a lever on your pressure switch. The symptom of too high is a momentary pressure dip when the pump turns on.
And tremendous water hammer when the tank bladder bottoms out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks