Toto Drake CST744 hard to flush and tower sticks open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nutley

Reaction score
Been having this problem since the toilet was put in a month ago.
The flush lever takes a lot of force to push down and the tower does not drop down all the way to seal after flushing. It stays slightly up, the tank lid has to be taken off and the tower has been to pushed back down to seat itself again. Any ideas on why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trip lever rod is brass. Have you tried bending it to make it pull up and down in a more aligned way?

flush-tower-3.jpg

Last edited:

Nutley

Reaction score
The trip lever rod is brass. Have you tried bending it to make it pull up and down in a more aligned way?

I have not, I will look at that today. I spoke with Toto and they said the pins may not be lining up.

thetwins

Reaction score
I have this exact same issue! I tried manually seating and reseating the tower up and down multiple times, in case there was friction keeping the tower from falling into the correct position, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Has anyone found a solution? This is so frustrating! This toilet is practically brand new, as it is used approximately once a month.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tower will rotate all the way out and will rotate back in again. You can check the seal at the bottom while out. Making sure the brass rod pulls straight up helps.

thetwins

Reaction score
Thank you Terry! So I finally followed your suggestions and took out the tower (moving totally fine when not sitting in the tank) and bent the brass flush rod forwards to try and straighten it. It’s much better now, and only occasionally sticks. When it does, I re-flush until I hear the ‘thunk’ that means it is seated correctly. Also, I can tell immediately after initial flush now - if the water does not fill the bowl rapidly, then it’s fine. When the water fills the entire bowl immediately, then the valve is stuck open and needs work.
Again, not perfect, but MUCH better than having to lift up the tank lid after every single flush to push down the center of the tower. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks