Help! Pump not running after installing csv and new pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Gregory

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here as this site seems to be coming up alot lately with my plumbing searches.

So, I just replumbed my well tank with a CSV and a new switch because the old stuff was extremely corroded and wiring was very sketchy. When I flipped the breaker back on I thought I heard the pump run for a split second, then nothing. No water, however the pressure Guage read 5 psi all of the sudden. Shut off power, and did a bunch of tests. Everything is wired correctly, I checked the switch with my meter and I am getting 240v at the middle contacts, indicating that 240v is Going to the pump. This is a 2 wire system, even though there is a control box it is simply acting as a junction box. I have shut off the breaker because I don't know whats going on, but have tried multiple times and have not heard the pump run at all. Hence, I have no water and I'm in a pickle here. I'm new to wells, but I think I understand the system. If the wires going to the pump are getting 240v and it's not running, did I kill it somehow?? My only thought was if there is something going on because I had all of the plumbing disconnected, therefore introducing air... Its a deep well so I thought it didn't need priming. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pump down the well (submersible)? There are deep well jet pumps, but in Michigan you probably have a submersible..

Could be a bad connection. Could be a bad pump.

Todd Gregory

Reaction score
Is the pump down the well (submersible)? There are deep well jet pumps, but in Michigan you probably have a submersible..

Could be a bad connection. Could be a bad pump.
Well, I just happened to turn the adjustment on the CSV and suddenly water starts flowing. So, even though instructions say to start with the adjustment stem almost fully backed out, that didn't give me any flow. So I am super thankful my pump didn't burn up.

Maybe I need to create a new post, but the CSV valve seems to be weird... It takes 10 minutes to fill my 34 gallon tank from 40 to 50 psi after any water is shut off. Is that normal? And is that OK for the pump considering how slowly water is flowing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The adjustment bolt on the CSV1A determines how much pressure you get. All the way backed out is only 15 PSI while all the way tightened in is 150 PSI. So 50 PSI is about 1/3rd the way tightened in. Even with the adjustment bolt backed out, you should still have flow, but only at 15 PSI. Won't burn up the pump no matter what you do, as the CSV can never completely close, and will allow enough flow to keep the pump/motor cool. Even running 10 minutes to fill the tank it is still flowing 1 GPM, which is enough to cool the pump. However, with a large tank like a 32 gallon that holds 8 gallons of water, you want to set the CSV closer to the off setting so you get about 2 minutes to fill the tank. With a 30/50 pressure switch set the CSV to about 45 PSI and you will get 2 minutes of run time after turning off all faucets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks