Laundry room redo - ends up we gotta break concrete to catch drain, ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Elite

Reaction score
So....initially i was hoping to catch the stack but its on a different wall. So, now, we have decided to not box anything in and trench and bury the drain and supply lines using PEX So, I am wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for when my contractor does this? P traps, vents, etc. Going to have washer box inside back wall. Supply lines come up from along the inside because the back wall is an outside wall. Close up drain in center of room and move it back where the doors will be in front of the washer and dryer as well as cut and cap old washer tub drain (left). Anything out of the ordinary I should keep an eye out for? My guy seems capable but I always like to be in the know.

upload_2019-12-16_19-22-52.png

IMG_20191214_105556.jpg

Elite

Reaction score
Because of the distance, the recommendation is to add a ptrap and roof vent, is that smart/necessary? The sink is probably 8-10ft away so air vent perhaps not good enough?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The distance from P-trap to vent is max at 60"
The kitchen sink and the washer need traps and venting for them. It doesn't make sense to tie the vents together when they are that far apart.

Elite

Reaction score
We added a Ptrap, and a vent on the washer side. On the sink side, it'll drain right to 2" now and go right into 3", do I need a vent under the sink? Only concern (too late now) is the height of the washer drain box. Its about 34" off the ground, which is about the height of the laundry tub it used to drain into. Seems like the min is 30" though, is that correct?

IMG_20191219_201741.jpg

IMG_20191219_131037.jpg

IMG_20191218_181508.jpg

IMG_20191227_175846.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I see you have a fan there. Concrete does not cure by drying. When you pour concrete, it would be best to keep it moist, perhaps by covering with plastic.

Elite

Reaction score
I see you have a fan there. Concrete does not cure by drying. When you pour concrete, it would be best to keep it moist, perhaps by covering with plastic.

I wasnt home at the time of pouring, but if they had that fan in there I dont believe it was more than a few hours. At this point its probably too late :) but overall I think/hope its fine. It was curing for several days before cabinets went in and even know 1 or 2 feel may be touching new concrete. It is what it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks