Drain slope for basement washer/dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenx291

Reaction score
Hey All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I recently just moved into a new house that has an unfinished basement and I'm looking to move the washer and dryer down there after I frame out the walls. Part of my concern is that due to the placement of the window near the main waste stack there wouldn't be enough height for a proper slope to tie into the waste stack to have the washing machine along the exterior wall.

I'm hoping someone could tell me based off the photo if my assumption is correct or not and what potential there might be to make this work if any.

if its hard to read the red text..apologies. From the basement floor to the window sill framing is 14" in height.

basement-washing-machine.jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I recently just moved into a new house that has an unfinished basement and I'm looking to move the washer and dryer down there after I frame out the walls. Part of my concern is that due to the placement of the window near the main waste stack there wouldn't be enough height for a proper slope to tie into the waste stack to have the washing machine along the exterior wall.

I'm hoping someone could tell me based off the photo if my assumption is correct or not and what potential there might be to make this work if any.

if its hard to read the red text..apologies. From the basement floor to the window sill framing is 14" in height.

basement-washing-machine.jpg
possibly using the cleanout, looks like a close call

Reach4

Reaction score
You can have the WM pump the water up and over the window or under the window and up to the input to the standpipe. Then have a standpipe to the left of the window that takes the water.

They sell extensions for WM drain lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The instructions, or you might have to contact the appliance's tech support department, should be able to tell you how long of a replacement discharge hose their machine supports. Running it under the window would mean it would likely retain some water in between uses, and the end must be high enough so that you don't end up siphoning the thing during operation.

The pumped portion doesn't have a fixed slope issue...once it becomes gravity reliant, then it does.

Stephenx291

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think if I'd have to run an extension that might look a bit odd, the entire basement is unfinished and I want it to have a clean layout. I'm thinking I may just leave the washer and dryer upstairs. After replacing the appliances I did at least see the washing machine pan itself does has a 3/4" CVPC drain line with it and it goes somewhere so I'm not as worried about water damage knowing that would at least deal with some of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks