Smelly Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
So I'd like some input on a smelly problem I'm having in one of my bathrooms. Recently my wife has been complaining of odors in our guest bath. I wouldn't really know, my nose isn't that sensitive and I rarely use that bathroom. Anyway, since that bathroom is rarely used and the shower is never used I assumed the p-trap on the shower had dried up and just needed some water. My wife ran the shower for an extended period of time, way long enough to fill the p-trap. The smell persists. The sink seems to be tight with no leaks and is frequently used by my wife. That leaves the toilet. I have noticed it doesn't seem very positively attached and can be "rocked" very slightly. I noticed this before but dismissed it since it doesn't leak. My question is...could the wax ring be leaking enough to allow sewer gas to escape with no leakage of the sewage itself? Seems pretty implausible to me and I don't want to screw with that toilet if its not the cause but I need to get rid of the smell.

Reach4

Reaction score
That leaves the toilet. I have noticed it doesn't seem very positively attached and can be "rocked" very slightly. I noticed this before but dismissed it since it doesn't leak. My question is...could the wax ring be leaking enough to allow sewer gas to escape with no leakage of the sewage itself?
Yes, definitely.

Does the toilet flush well? If not, you could consider replacing it at the same time that you deal with the rocking toilet.

A toilet should not rock. You use shims to prevent rocking. Since you should not de-compress wax, place the shims before adding the wax. Lift the toilet, place the wax, and then drop the toilet onto the wax and shims.

Alternatively use a waxless seal. Those can de-compress some while you shove in the shims.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Yes, definitely.

Does the toilet flush well? If not, you could consider replacing it at the same time that you deal with the rocking toilet.

A toilet should not rock. You use shims to prevent rocking. Since you should not de-compress wax, place the shims before adding the wax. Lift the toilet, place the wax, and then drop the toilet onto the wax and shims.

Alternatively use a waxless seal. Those can de-compress some while you shove in the shims.

Yes the toilet flushes just fine. My wife uses it every 10 minutes so if there were a problem other than the stink I would know it you can be sure. I'm familiar with how to properly seat a toilet, it wasn't done by me. We just moved in the house in March and there have been MANY other priorities. I just kind of said, "I need to take care of this eventually, its not leaking so meh". The floor was retiled by the previous owner and many of their "upgrades" where done somewhat haphazardly. A job is only done well when ALL the details are covered. The floor was done well, the toilet, not so much. It just seemed like if it were leaking gas it would be leaking sewage as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
It just seemed like if it were leaking gas it would be leaking sewage as well.
If the toilet and flange were like this, and the wax were totally omitted, would you leak water? If the soil pipe blocked, you sure would, but otherwise, only gas leaks. A clog within this toilet passage would not leak solids or liquids.
index.php

The hole/depression in the flange might be 3 or 4 inches, and the inside of the horn from the toilet might be 2-1/4. The liquid and solids can hit the target, even if the horn does not extend into the closet flange.

Reach4

Reaction score
It just seemed like if it were leaking gas it would be leaking sewage as well.
If the toilet and flange were like this, and the wax were totally omitted, would you leak water? If the soil pipe blocked, you sure would, but otherwise, only gas leaks.
index.php

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
If the toilet and flange were like this, and the wax were totally omitted, would you leak water? If the soil pipe blocked, you sure would, but otherwise, only gas leaks.

Thanks Reach,

I get what you're saying. Just odd that I've had toilets with intact wax rings that weren't thoroughly sealed and they were a leaky mess. Guess that shows the drain pipe flows well. So I'll be reseating that toilet soon. Did I say meh? I'm sure it's going to be a nasty job. What a lovely Christmas gift.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach,

I get what you're saying. Just odd that I've had toilets with intact wax rings that weren't thoroughly sealed and they were a leaky mess. Guess that shows the drain pipe flows well. So I'll be reseating that toilet soon. Did I say meh? I'm sure it's going to be a nasty job. What a lovely Christmas gift.
Also assess the stop valve to see if you want to change that out. Usually you want to replace the supply line when you lift the toilet. Don't hurt your back.

Use your wet-dry vac or rags to remove water that remains after the last flush.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Also assess the stop valve to see if you want to change that out. Usually you want to replace the supply line when you lift the toilet. Don't hurt your back.

Use your wet-dry vac or rags to remove water that remains after the last flush.

Reach, I replaced all the guts of the toilet soon after we moved in. Flush valve, flapper and supply line. The house was built in 2004 and it looked to be original. It was taking a year and a day to fill the tank after a flush. That's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I'm a flush twice kind of guy.

Hopefully the back will hold out ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks