Furnace burner and blower take turns

Users who are viewing this thread

SShaw

Reaction score
Sounds like the limit switch is cutting off the burner. The furnace could be overheating, or the limit switch could be set wrong, or gone bad.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the limit switch is cutting off the burner. The furnace could be overheating, or the limit switch could be set wrong, or gone bad.
Jumped the limit switch, blower wouldn't come on. All I can think is its this thing

Attachments

• 20191204_100552.jpg
    20191204_100552.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 156

SShaw

Reaction score
I don't know what that thing is in the photo.

All I know is the limit switch has several functions which would be consistent with the behavior you saw. It will: 1) turn the fan ON after the burner starts and the HX gets hot enough, 2) keep the fan ON after the burner is off to remove excess heat from the HX, 3) turn the fan OFF after the HX cools down too much, and 4) cut off the burner OFF if the HX gets dangerously hot.

You should get an HVAC tech who knows oil to diagnose things. You don't want to take chances with oil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks