Advice on a DWV plan

Users who are viewing this thread

claytonK

Reaction score
I'm remodeling contractor doing my personal home and applying for a homeowner permit for the plumbing. I wanted to get some opinions on my plan before I turned it in to the local inspector for review. I've attached some sketches of the DWV design from a couple of different angles also included a sketch of my supply routing plan.

Attachments

• Dorothy Plumbing ISO PG 1 R.pdf
    80.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Dorothy Plumbing ISO PG 2 R.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Dorothy Plumbing ISO PG 3 R.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Dorothy Plumbing ISO PG 4 R.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 124
  • Dorothy Supply Lines ISO Reduced.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 98

claytonK

Reaction score
Here are the .jpg for easier reference
1st floor Capture.JPG 2nd floor Capture.JPG basment iso Capture.JPG overall iso Capture.JPG supply Capture.JPG

claytonK

Reaction score
Sorry I've never posted any pictures on here, if there would be a better way to post the images let me know.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
Trying to put this gently. There are enough questionable things on your drawings that show you need more than simple pointers. Start with reading the UPC sections on venting start to finish.

claytonK

Reaction score
Trying to put this gently. There are enough questionable things on your drawings that show you need more than simple pointers. Start with reading the UPC sections on venting start to finish.

Could you elaborate a little on what issues you see? I will try to find that, I've read other sources on venting but never that, is it available online?

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, UPC is available, just have to search. http://www.iapmo.org/publications/read-uniform-codes-online/
Also need to see what amendments your local area has. Sometimes amendments are less strict, sometimes more strict.

1 - I know it is not a detailed drawing but you show several places where multiple pipes intersect needing a fitting that supply houses may not stock
2 - 2nd floor washer has a running trap
3 - basement lav wet venting washer - technically legal but frowned upon
4 - basement toilet - needs to be wet vented by tub, not wye from washer and tub
5 - may need floor drain in basement and/or garage

Also PEX is smaller than copper so trunks generally need to be 1" or greater.

Check if the tankless water heater you chose needs a drain. High efficiency condensing units do.
May not want tankless in attic as can freeze/burst pipes.

claytonK

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I know that the drawing could use more detail, but that was about the extent of what I could do with my drawing skills.

1 - I know it is not a detailed drawing but you show several places where multiple pipes intersect needing a fitting that supply houses may not stock
I think I can get all the fittings I need but I will make sure.

2nd floor washer has a running trap
That was drawn wrong. I had planed to do it like a traditional laundry stack but messed up the drawing, it should show a long 90 coming up from the trunk line where the washer stand pipe trap would tee into.

3 - basement lav wet venting washer - technically legal but frowned upon
I thought this might be an issue but wasn't sure. I knew you could wet vent 2 diffrent bath groups on the same floor but wasn't sure about a laundry. Easily fixed.

4 - basement toilet - needs to be wet vented by tub, not wye from washer and tub
Here you got me, I thought this would work? I was wet venting the toilet through the 2" tub vent. I could install a dedicated vent on the toilet line just didn't think I needed it.

5 - may need floor drain in basement and/or garage
Basement floor drain discharges into sump pit which is not shown on the drawing. Local sewer provider wanted basement floor drains and basement stairwell drain disconnected from the lateral and put into the sump pit.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond

claytonK

Reaction score
I forgot to respond to your other points.
Also PEX is smaller than copper so trunks generally need to be 1" or greater.
I'll have to look into that, I have a 3/4" copper service line so I thought it would be silly to up size it after that. but maybe I'm wrong? on the 1" hot trunk should I be worried about wasting hot water?

Check if the tankless water heater you chose needs a drain. High efficiency condensing units do.
May not want tankless in attic as can freeze/burst pipes.
Yes I will need to provide a drain, there is both a high efficiency furnace and water heater in the attic ( It will be a insulated and conditioned space) I still need to ask my HVAC installer what he would like me to provide for the drains for both. It was located here because the home is in the 100 year flood plain. The local municipality is spending 80 million on creek improvements and we will be removed from the flood plain but that's not for 3 years. Hence why the basement bath is just a rough in for now.

Again, thanks for your time

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks