Zone Valve help

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im confused weather I need a normally open or normally closed zone valve. With thermostat off the lever is loose, leaving me believe the zone valve is open. So would i need to put in a normally closed

Stuff

Reaction score
If replacing it maybe the loose lever is a part of the failure?

Rare to have a NC valve. With thermostat calling for heat does the valve get power? Then check with no heat call.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
If replacing it maybe the loose lever is a part of the failure?

Rare to have a NC valve. With thermostat calling for heat does the valve get power? Then check with no heat call.
i changed it but with thermostat off the lever is loose, if I crank the heat the lever closes and is stiffer

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most that I've seen (not a lot!) use the motor to open the valve and rely on the spring to push it back closed when power is removed. SO, those I'm familiar with are normally closed. Using the manual open lever is pushing against the spring, so would likely get tighter as you open the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks