Tempress II Rough In Giving Me Fits

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Repac

Reaction score
There are several showers in my home that use the Tempress II rough-in as used by Newport Brass. My daughter's bathroom had water damage from what we thought was a roof leak. She went away to college and the damage was repaired. She noticed her shower was dripping while visiting home and I replaced the cartridge. It fixed the drip but noticed when the shower is turned on it spews water from the cartridge stem. It wasn't a roof leak after all that caused the damage.

Where is the seal for the cartridge stem? I ordered a new front face cover for the valve since the old one is heavily corroded. The new cover in theory has an o-ring from the online picture. I assume this is the seal but where does it go?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cartridge should have its own O ring.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Repac

Reaction score
I looked at illustration 3 that Terry and others have posted on the Tempress II. It looks like mine was missing o-rings item #8 and item #4. It looks like #8 is the stem seal but not sure what #4 is for.

DaveC1

Reaction score
I had same issue...I reused the o ring that was on before as there was no new one with the replacement valve. There doesn't appear to be a seal seat. Someone told me that when you screw the esthescuon on it presses the o ring into position...no leaks but scary....my issue now is that cold and hot got mixed up!

Joe Repac

Reaction score
This is turning into an archeological project. The vendor shipped me a Tempress vs Tempress II front cover. I'm not quite sure what the difference is. It has a nylon bushing along with an o-ring in the middle. Fortunately, I have other showers in the house and the new cartridge seals the hot and cold off so there is no leaks into the mixing chamber. I will go back to this later in the week.

Joe Repac

Reaction score
Well after the Christmas holidays, other more urgent house repairs, and Covid, I finally got back to this repair. My problem is the shaft seal on the cartridge. I pulled the Temperess II valve apart again and it had the same shaft seal as the Tempress. No Tempress nor Tempress II diagrams I could find describes the shaft seal the nylon bushing that retains it. I pulled the plastic retainer and o-ring off of the Tempress and installed it on the Tempress II. I tried using it and there are no leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks