No Apparent P-Trap under Tub/Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Strungis

Reaction score
The photos I enclosed is of my house under construction 10 years ago. I am removing the tub and putting in a shower. After removing the tub, I see no p-trap at the drain location (1st photo). Is it possible that the p-trap is under the concrete floor before it ties into the 4" drain before the vent? Should I put in a p-trap at the shower drain? I don't know what to do. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_134426429.jpg
    IMG_20191117_134426429.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 550
  • B0002053.jpeg
    B0002053.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 501

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd probably break up the concrete and see the depth of the existing p-trap if you can't determine that without. FWIW, while you can get a shower pan with an offset drain, most people much prefer the optics of having it centered. If you're going to leave it at the end, a linear drain (expensive) is a nice upgrade. If you do break up the concrete, you could upgrade that line to a 2" one (it may be under the slab). The bigger potential gotcha is if the p-trap isn't deep enough to allow the slope required to move the p-trap. While some places seem to allow a shower without a liner, or to not have the liner sloped to the drain, don't get caught in that situation. There are lots of ways to build a reliable tiled shower, but while not difficult, it is very detail oriented. Mess up one aspect, and it can fail. Much cheaper to do it right the first time. Read Tiling 101 in the tutorial section for a short intro.

If you're going to do tiling, check out www.johnbridge.com for help with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks