First post: waste arm higher than drain

Users who are viewing this thread

GolderGopher11

Reaction score
Hey there, first time posting!

Recently installed a new sink and noticed that the previous waste pipe sits at about the same height that the drain sits. I could install the P trap and use an extender to then connect to the waste pipe but it’s about a 5 inch vertical run.

Question: Would this work or would the water fail to drain properly? If that run isn’t going to work, is my only option to lower the drain line? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 190

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the dishwasher shuts off, ANY water in the hose or where it discharges into, may be siphoned back into the DW even with a "high loop", so the drain in your photo would be a definite NO NO NO installation.

Reach4

Reaction score
When the dishwasher shuts off, ANY water in the hose or where it discharges into, may be siphoned back into the DW even with a "high loop", so the drain in your photo would be a definite NO NO NO installation.
How about with an air gap? At least we know there would be no siphon.

Last edited:

GolderGopher11

Reaction score
I was able to create a shorter run from the p trap to the waste line, about 3.5 inches total. Would that do the trick?

A little confused by the dishwasher drain comments. That placement is standard with the tail pipe and would ne installed with as high of a loop I can create. What else could I do there?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks