Drain Pipe Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Remark37

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am working on a repair on a schedule 30 3” pipe behind the wall. The pipe had a hole in it and I am trying to repair. My first attempt was to use a repair coupler but it glued too fast and didn’t work. I then cut a 12” piece with a coupler (stop in the middle) on the bottom and a repair coupler up top. It is difficult to prime, glue, and set. I took a stab at it and it is leaking occasional droplets, but still leaking.

Any advice how to successfully repair? I considered a rubber coupling but not sure if that’s ok behind a wall. Also, space is very limited behind the wall with 2x4 studs and a 3” (3 1/4” od) pipe.

Also, with the current couplers on there, it appears drywall will not fit. Any advice in regards to that? I have a feeling it will need to be replaced in the ceiling and basement.

Thanks,

Kris

Attachments

• 84658C33-101C-4AE7-807B-3334DECF383E.jpeg
    84658C33-101C-4AE7-807B-3334DECF383E.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-2-in-x-2-28-in-dia-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-Fittings/1000075337?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-plumbingconnectionsandsupport-_-1000075337-_-0&store_code=742&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-rough_plumbing_and_electrical-_-MHLIA_RPE_Rough Plumbing and Electrical_High Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpeToy_3f5QIVBL3sCh0rTglZEAQYAyABEgJd3vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cut out that section of pipe, measure the distance between the ends and subtract 1/4", cut a new piece of pipe and attach with no-hub bands. If the drywall patch does not set flush with the finish wall you can carve a little out on the back side of the piece of drywall where it touches the bands. Theirs 10 different ways to repair this.

Last edited:

Remark37

Reaction score
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-2-in-x-2-28-in-dia-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-Fittings/1000075337?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-plumbingconnectionsandsupport-_-1000075337-_-0&store_code=742&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-rough_plumbing_and_electrical-_-MHLIA_RPE_Rough Plumbing and Electrical_High Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpeToy_3f5QIVBL3sCh0rTglZEAQYAyABEgJd3vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cut out that section of pipe, measure the distance between the ends and subtract 1/4", cut a new piece of pipe and attach with no-hub bands. If the drywall patch does not set flush with the finish wall you can carve a little out on the back side of the piece of drywall where it touches the bands. Theirs 10 different ways to repair this.

Thanks for the reply James! I’m really struggling finding a 3” schedule 30 fitting. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
The closest I was coming up with is Fernco 3001-33 or Mission CK-33
Then fill the space with a piece of 3 inch copper.

This is nominally for 3" CI to 3" Copper.
The dimensions on that are 3.32in for the big side and 3.06in for the smaller (over the copper). So that would be a tad loose over the schedule 30 pvc side, but maybe you could crank it down enough.

The dimension on the Fernco 3009-33 and mission TWP-33 "TWP" adapter couplings are 3.19 for the thinwall side and 3.45 for the schedule 40 side.

I suspect that the OD would be over 3.5, so you might have to gouge into the drywall a bit. I am not a plumber. I would be tempted to use the unshielded coupler on schedule 30. Maybe cover that with the shield taken from one of the shielded cover to make it look official. Maybe not bother.

Last edited:

Remark37

Reaction score
If I were to use a repair coupling, and if the coupling is not an interference fit, and wanted a slow-set cement, I would consider slow-setting epoxy glue.

If it is an interference fit, Oatey gray https://www.oatey.com/2373316/Product/Oatey-Heavy-Duty-Gray-PVC-Cement might work better for you, but I have my doubts that it would be slow enough.
Thanks!

Interestingly enough, it hasn’t had a drop in a few days. I don’t trust it since it did the first couple days.
I was looking at the Hercules slow setting cement. That was going to be my next attempt as there isn’t an exact fitting coupler.

Reach4

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, it hasn’t had a drop in a few days. I don’t trust it since it did the first couple days.
I was looking at the Hercules slow setting cement. That was going to be my next attempt as there isn’t an exact fitting coupler.
If that gave you 2 seconds instead of 400 mS, that would be great. I don't know how slow is slow.

Do those repair couplings slide over the pipe before you apply cement?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks