Disconnect PVC from Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimjr

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to disconnect 2 inch PVC from cast iron so I can install a new bathroom vanity in the basement.

The photo below shows the 2 inch sink drain PVC installed in a cast iron pipe which then goes under the concrete floor.

How do I get this apart? Thanks.

Attachments

• basement_vanity_sink.jpeg
    basement_vanity_sink.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 158

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture but the seal maybe oakum. It appears that a whole lot of a glue was used at the seal. A small chesil or a screwdriver and hammer away at the seal. When you rework the plumbing, use a Fernco cast iron hub donut.

Attachments

• oakum.jpg
    oakum.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 149

Reach4

Reaction score
How about sawing the pvc and gluing on the new stuff?

Jimjr

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture but the seal maybe oakum. It appears that a whole lot of a glue was used at the seal. A small chesil or a screwdriver and hammer away at the seal. When you rework the plumbing, use a Fernco cast iron hub donut.
Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks