Installing Moen A725 series Drop Ell

Users who are viewing this thread

HalM

Reaction score
Soon I will be installing a Moen A725 series Drop Ell to go along with a moen handshower slidebar assembly.
My model has the threads inside the drop ell. Is there a preferred length of pipe to use for this item? I'm finding it a bit tricky to know how deep to mount the drop ear inside my wall, before I start closing in the wall to do tile work. I do have the Moen specs that showing that 3/8" of the pipe is to be extended beyond the finished wall. It doesn't seem like very much to grab on to and tighten the pipe and risk damaging the threads.

Also, what would be the preferred type of pipe to use for this installation? It will be attached to a 1/2" Brass drop ear.

Thanks for the help.
Hal

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only 2 adjustment you have with this Elbow is how many threads you tighten it on the pipe nipple and how long of a pipe nipple you use. Pipe nipples come in varying lengths spaced by 1/2" increments. If you can assemble it prior to rough in installation, you can get a sense for how deep to place your threaded elbow in the wall. But variations in wall plumbness and tile depth, make any precise measurments difficult at best.

Some tricks to adjusting depth via threads and tightness are involved in applying more or less wraps of PTFE tape on the pipe nipple so it bottoms out sooner or less to have the thread go further in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Us a brass nipple for that.
You stub out for now with a 6" nipple and cap until you are ready for installation. After tile, mark the nipple at 3/8" from the tile, remove the nipple, and get your measurement.

HalM

Reaction score
Us a brass nipple for that.
You stub out for now with a 6" nipple and cap until you are ready for installation. After tile, mark the nipple at 3/8" from the tile, remove the nipple, and get your measurement.

If the proper size nipple is installed after the the wall is finished, what's the best way to tighten it without damaging the threads?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I put the nipple on the drop ell and then use a screwdriver in the hole that is for the shower hose to turn the drop ell. I do not install the nipple to the wall first.

Nipple in the drop ell, and then thread the whole entire mess in at one time.

HalM

Reaction score
I put the nipple on the drop ell and then use a screwdriver in the hole that is for the shower hose to turn the drop ell. I do not install the nipple to the wall first.

Nipple in the drop ell, and then thread the whole entire mess in at one time.

Thank you for this info.
Normally, how far would you assume the nipple be tightened in to get a firm seal? At least half an inch?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks