Discontinued Showerhead Conundrum

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Many years ago, I fell in love with the Grohe Freehander showerhead. A hotel I used to frequent had these installed in every bathroom. They are simply fantastic. I loved the Freehander so much, I bought one to install in the apartment I was living in at the time.

The Freehander is a robust (heavy) unit that articulates and I realized the wall on which it was to be mounted would need to be reinforced to ensure proper support. Since a remodel of that bathroom wasn't in the plan, the Freehander went on a shelf in a closet. That was about 10 years ago.

I'm now in a different home and getting ready to gut renovate my master bath. I really want to install the Freehander but I see that it is now discontinued by Grohe. This gives me great pause because it is such a unique design, I'm fearful of the ramifications down the road should it fail or need repairs. Parts are seemingly unavailable.

There is an o-ring repair kit available and a few small parts, but not all parts are available.

I'm not sure what to do. I have looked forward to installing this showerhead for years but I feel that it's a risky proposition, given the scope of this renovation and the unique way in which this mounts to the wall.

I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from the pros. I wonder if any Grohe supply houses might possibly have some new-old-stock on the shelf someplace so I could stockpile some parts?

Freehander 2.jpg

Freehander 1.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I do not know anything about this unit but if it just o rings that would need replacing, there are Grohe O rings out there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00084M47K/ref=psdc_3226856011_t2_B00083JWTE

If the wall connection is the same as all other shower heads(1/2"), I would go with it and in the future it doesn't work anymore just install any shower head you like. Save some tiles for future repairs if needed to replace the unit.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I do not know anything about this unit but if it just o rings that would need replacing, there are Grohe O rings out there.

If the wall connection is the same as all other shower heads(1/2"), I would go with it and in the future it doesn't work anymore just install any shower head you like. Save some tiles for future repairs if needed to replace the unit.
Yeah, I see that there are o-ring kits available. But there are a lot of other parts that are unique to this model. If those parts were to fail, sourcing replacements will likely be difficult if not impossible.

The fact that every aspect of this design is movable concerns me. Things that move can wear-out and break.

It mounts to the wall with four screws and while your point of keeping spare tile is valid and something I've considered, the wall is going to be tiled with large format porcelain and it would potentially be problematic to repair down the road.

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
The Freehander is discontinued but not the parts. They have a complete seal kit # 45878000 and is about $40.00 I checked Grohe inventory and it is in stock. See the link and go to "Find spare parts"

https://www.grohe.us/en_us/search-results-page.html#search=freehander+exposed+shower+system
Yes, those are mostly small parts though.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to move forward with this unit, but I have placed an order for just about every spare part that's available. Unfortunately, none of the major components are available in the spare parts list.

There was an open box unit on eBay that I let slip away. If anyone knows of a Grohe distributor that might have old stock available, please let me know. I'd feel comfortable installing this unit if I had a complete spare, as overly cautious as that might sound.

RGI

Reaction score
Yes, those are mostly small parts though.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to move forward with this unit, but I have placed an order for just about every spare part that's available. Unfortunately, none of the major components are available in the spare parts list.

There was an open box unit on eBay that I let slip away. If anyone knows of a Grohe distributor that might have old stock available, please let me know. I'd feel comfortable installing this unit if I had a complete spare, as overly cautious as that might sound.

Hi if you dont want your grohe freehander I will buy it from you as I currently have one in my house

Richard

rgingram@telus.net

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks