Drake II "Footprint" / Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

LeoD

Reaction score
Hello. Great forum. Thank you Terry, and everyone who posts!

I want to replace a Kohler Wellworth 1.6gpf round with a Drake II 1.0gpf elongated. I was about to order the Drake II when I realized from the pictures and diagram on Toto's site that its base extends farther back than the Kohler.

When the previous owner installed the Kohler, he moved the supply valve to the floor, and I don't think it will clear the base of the Drake II.
upload_2019-11-7_0-58-56.jpeg

Toto's diagram shows the base as 9 7/8" at the widest point. My current supply valve is about 8 7/8" back from the center of the outlet. Does anybody know the width of the Drake II at this point?

It looks like my only option if I want to install the Drake II may be to move the supply valve. If I do, I'm hoping the toilet base will cover the patched hole.

Additional questions:
  1. Is there some device or trick I'm not aware of that would save me from moving the supply? (I'll need to work in a very narrow crawl space, if I need to move it.)
  2. Is there another toilet, comparable to the Drake II that might fit without moving the supply?
  3. If I do need to move the supply, is there any way to install the pipe in a tiled wall without removing tiles, or am I better off just relocating it to another spot on the floor?
Thanks again!!

Last edited:

LeoD

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply, Terry!

That looks like it might fit if I trim the supply valve flange a little. It's also on the qualifying list for rebates in my area (something I failed to mention before.)

How does it compare to the Drake II, which gets so much love on this forum? Is there some compelling feature that would make the Drake II so much better that it would be worth crawling under the house and sweating copper to move the supply, or would I be just as happy with this one?

Also I see that there's a new 1.0 / .08gpf Drake (CST746CUMFG) that is also on the qualifying list. Any idea whether this ultra-low flush model will perform well?

LeoD

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Reach4. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that Dynamax is different than Tornado!

It appears the difference is that Dynamax flushes entirely from the rim - no siphon jet. Is it inferior? I only see a couple of reviews online for it so far.
Does anyone here have first hand experience with it?

Reach4

Reaction score
It appears the difference is that Dynamax flushes entirely from the rim
I had missed the implication that there seems to be no siphon jet. Never seen it.

LeoD

Reaction score
I had missed the implication that there seems to be no siphon jet. Never seen it.
Yes, I saw the video with the water swirling around from the rim thought they'd gone with the same flush system as the Drake II. After you mentioned it's a different system, I looked up the TOTO Dynamax page and found this:

"With conventional siphon jet flushing systems, the water volume is split between the rim and jet hole, with each responsible for bowl cleaning or waste evacuation. DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH® however sends 100% of the water through the rim so all of it is used to clean the bowl and to evacuate waste."

Reach4

Reaction score
DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH
Dynamax would make for better plunging... not that plunging is common with a good toilet.

When plunging most toilets, a lot of the water flow, and maybe some solid material, is directed into the siphon jet. With no siphon jet, all flow would go out the exit.

Last edited:

LeoD

Reaction score
Dynamax would make for better plunging... not that plunging is common with a good toilet.

When plunging most toilets, a lot of the water flow, and maybe some solid material, is directed into the siphon jet. With no siphon jet, all flow would go out the exit.
Hadn't even considered that, but it makes sense. I also read somewhere that this new Drake has a shorter, lower trap - which might also make for easier plunging.

I'm curious how well it flushes (and performs in general.) I've only found 5 reviews online so far, 3 good and 2 bad. I'd trust the experience of someone here more, if anyone has this model. (Or Terry, have you installed enough of them to have an opinion?)

LeoD

Reaction score
I'm following up, in case someone with a similar situation finds this thread later.

On Terry's suggestion, I took a look at the new Drake. (Thank you Terry.)

The only place with one on display anywhere nearby was the TOTO Gallery, so I made an appointment and brought my tape measure. According to my measurements of their display units, the new Drake would just clear my supply line, and the Drake II would cover the hole in the tile if I decided to move the supply.

After considering the benefits and possible detractions of both, I decided to try the new Drake 1G (.8/1.0 gpf.) As can be seen from the photo below, it does just clear the supply (which is about 3 3/8" from the wall.) This saved me from drilling tile and crawling under the house to move the supply.
upload_2019-12-29_18-46-35.jpeg

So far, I'm happy with the new Drake. It's definitely an improvement over the Kohler Wellworth it replaced, and the low-flow, dual-flush should give considerable water savings. (The .8 flush is half of the Wellworth's 1.6!) I'll post more of my impressions in the other thread I started about the Drake 1G, so people searching on that model can find them.

Thank you again, Terry, for the suggestion!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks