Flushing tankless voids your warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd want to see that in writing. It sounds like an installer guaranteeing a steady income. I can see where NOT flushing one could void the warranty, though. By the nature of the things, you will get mineral deposits inside unless you have perfectly soft water. That can and often will degrade the performance, possibly to the point where it doesn't work any more. IT depends on your water makeup how long or if that will occur.

Aristoc

Reaction score
I was shocked to hear it from my installer too. Then when I read through the manual, it says it there that a qualified service technician needs to do all the work. I can copy and paste this from my Navien manuals later. Don't know about other brands though.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does it look like this from page 11 of http://condensingsaves.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2_20026535C_Eng_NPE-Operation-Manual.pdf ? I guess, based on your statements, it does not.

img_1.png

Jbrk

Reaction score
It miffs me when there's a blanket statement like that. I set up a warranty with HTP. They asked if I was the homeowner, you have to state that you're the builder and they seem fine with that.

I don't know exactly what "qualified" installer means. You could be a qualified plumber and have never seen a tankless before. Don't mean the system is going to last longer or not short cycle with hand washing. You could also be the best plumber but no gas ticket, well they're not qualified to put one in are they? Or be a gas tech that slap some plumbing together with sharkbites, that's qualified right?

I think that statement about maintenance is in there maybe so homeowners that never descale, make a warranty claim, and say they've descaled every year. Well there's no proof at that point. Vs receipts as proof from a "qualified" technician

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect they distinguish between maintaining and service. Did the manual you were looking at have a "Flushing the Heat Exchanger" section? If so, does it contain these words?
Flushing the heat exchanger is a somewhat complicated procedure. Read the following instructions carefully before attempting this procedure. If you are uncertain about any of the steps in the procedure, contact an authorized technician or licensed professional. Keep in mind that improper maintenance can void your warranty.
What you quoted looks similar to https://www.navieninc.com/app/W1siZiIsIjIwMTgvMDQvMDUvMjMvMDEvNDEvMDg5YTExMzMtMjM2Zi00MmMwLWJmYjEtYjY4YTczM2RlNzU4L05DQiBVc2VyJ3MgSW5mb3JtYXRpb24gTWFudWFsIChFbmdsaXNoKS5wZGYiXV0/NCB%20User%27s%20Information%20Manual%20%28English%29.pdf?sha=da45f235a44461e0 which has those words.

Here is a snip from the table of contents:
img_3.png

Last edited:

Aristoc

Reaction score
Qualified means whatever navien wants it to mean.But I think the word 'qualified' is refering to service and installation. Not to regular maintenance.

My unit is a NPE 210A and I am reading from it's manual. When I called my installer for a problem, they said that I never had called them to do a flush, so I said I have done them myself. They said it has to be done by a "qualified .....etc etc." to keep the warranty. I questioned that. So I startred reading the Warranty on the Navien site and the Navien Users Manual. I am starting to think that my installer is confusing the word "servicing" as written in the manuals with "maintenace." I could not find where it says that "maintenance" such as flushing has to be done by a qualified installer. Not even in the online warranty. So I think my installer is wrong on that.

I did call navien customer service and the person on the line questined whether or not I could do a flush myself because he said it is "complicated" and you need 'special equipment" . I told him I had the equipment and could do it myself. He wasn't so sure.

TEch99

Reaction score
Upfront cost for a tankless plus installation plus maintenance, lack of support from companies, will render these units highly inefficient when compared to a tank water heater that costs fractions. These units are popular in Europe due to small size apartments without basement access, a problem we don't have in the USA. Tanks are also highly reliable and will leave you with spare water lasting a few days in the event of a power outage. Do yourself and family a big favor and stay away from these tankless units.

Finally I see Navien is on the forum, why cant they answer the above question?

Fitter30

Reaction score
This is a users manual not a service manual if Navien didn't want a handy person to clean all the filters, flush and clean the unit they shouldn't put all that detailed info in a users manual. This manual is very contradicting.
Page 20 CAUTION Flushing the heat exchanger is a somewhat complicated procedure. Read the following instructions carefully before attempting this procedure. If you are uncertain about any of the steps in the procedure, contact an authorized technician or licensed professional. Keep in mind that improper maintenance can void your warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks