Toilet flange..what am I looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadman33

I know enough to get in trouble
Reaction score
My toilet fan just sitting too high What is this flange that's on there already? Can anybody tell me? They had the prior owner of toilet on there that was working with this configuration I'd like to make it better any advice. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_072457.jpg
    IMG_20191031_072457.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20191031_073018.jpg
    IMG_20191031_073018.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 280

Reach4

Reaction score
Lift the gray plastic, and take another photo. I don't remember what the gray thing is called. But you need something thinner, unless that flange lifts and pushes down. If it is not stable vertically, it should be secured vertically.

If the flange is stable vertically, and slots are not messed up, use wax.

If the slots are messed up, Sioux Chief 886-MR or
Harvey's 014710 (which is stainless) can provide the good slots. They add a little thickness, but not a lot.

Last edited:

Roadman33

Reaction score
Lift the gray plastic, and take another photo. I don't remember what the gray thing is called. But you need something thinner, unless that flange lifts and pushes down. If it is not stable vertically, it should be secured vertically.

If the flange is stable vertically, and slots are not messed up, use wax.

If the slots are messed up, Sioux Chief 886-MR or
Harvey's 014710 (which is stainless) can provide the good slots. They add a little thickness, but not a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_223249.jpg
    IMG_20191031_223249.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 266

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks OK. How does it feel?

If it feels solid, fit the toilet with no wax first. Figure out what shims you will need to prevent rocking. Place or mark them.

Lift the toilet. Place the wax. Drop the toilet onto the shims.

Roadman33

Reaction score
Seems okay.
thanks for the sequence of events I'll give those a go after work and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW toilet flanges are designed to be installed on top of the finished floor with no gaps beneath. If it's too high the toilet may rock on it and leave no room for the wax to create the seal.

Roadman33

Reaction score
I ended up cutting that out the whole flange. I used a inside the pipe cutter so that I didn't have to take up the floor.

This left me with a 4-in pipe about an inch and 3/4 down into the concrete slab. Then I installed one of these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-PVC-DWV-Replacement-Closet-Flange-43539/100139480

I was only able to get two concrete bolts in it and then I used construction and he said PL to glue the rest to the concrete floor. This made the height perfect I installed the toilet and it seemed great.

My only fear now is that that flange that I replaced it with expands out on the ABS pipe and that's a lot of pressure I don't know if that's too much? Will it crack the ABS pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the concrete go right up to the ABS outside? If so, that should be a mighty reinforcement.

If so, I would be more worried about the plastic resisting the pull of the closet bolts.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In order to avoid having Pulling force applied to the flange. How deep below the flange is the concrete? You might be able to get 1/4" stainless wedge anchors into the concrete and thru the flange to tighten the toilet down. The threads would enable you to additinally bolt the flange to the floor, but also the toilet would be fastened to the concrete.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...Wedge-Anchor-100-Pack-STB2-253144SS/205312388

Tacoma screw products or Dunn lumber would have those in stock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks