Toilet flange modification

Users who are viewing this thread

Tennessee Nuke

Reaction score
Has anyone used an Oatey one piece stainless steel ring on top of a new PVC flange installation to create a bulletproof mounting for the toilet?
Both would be Tapcon screwed into level concrete.
Seems like it would be stronger then the SS/PVC combination flanges I've looked at and will give me correct height to finished floor level.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
There are millions of PVC flanges in use and most do not break. They will break if the hold down bolts are over tighten, the bowl is not leveled and supported properly where the toilet will rock and move. You can place a SS repair flanged on top of the PVC flange but you'll need to use flat head tapcons. The head of the tapcon can stick up to high. It can also raise the level where the bowl is resting on the SS flange which you do not want. But these repair flanges are designed to sit on top of broken flanges made of either PVC or cast iron.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've looked at and will give me correct height to finished floor level.

It's not the closet bolt ring that gives you the correct height for the wax, it's the part of the flange that the wax sits on.

sioux_chief_w_spacer.jpg

I sometimes put a spacer under the flange.

Tennessee Nuke

Reaction score
There are millions of PVC flanges in use and most do not break. They will break if the hold down bolts are over tighten, the bowl is not leveled and supported properly where the toilet will rock and move. You can place a SS repair flanged on top of the PVC flange but you'll need to use flat head tapcons. The head of the tapcon can stick up to high. It can also raise the level where the bowl is resting on the SS flange which you do not want. But these repair flanges are designed to sit on top of broken flanges made of either PVC or cast iron.
I've got the flat topped wedge shape 1/4" Tapcons. The sit down flush with flange surface. Thanks for the feedback Worth Florida!

Tennessee Nuke

Reaction score
It's not the closet bolt ring that gives you the correct height for the wax, it's the part of the flange that the wax sits on.

sioux_chief_w_spacer.jpg

I sometimes put a spacer under the flange.
Thanks for reply Terry!
I see what your saying about wax and ring height. I will need to carefully measure this configuration to finished floor level.
But, is this a worthwhile concept to prevent future deformation of PVC flange from closet bolts pulling up?
When I figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Level concrete? The height depends on your finished floor height. I do like the metal rings, though if the toilet is set solidly, then there won't be the rocking that causes the flexing.

Tennessee Nuke

Reaction score
Level concrete? The height depends on your finished floor height. I do like the metal rings, though if the toilet is set solidly, then there won't be the rocking that causes the flexing.
Yes Sir, concrete around toilet is dead level. Sorry, I should have disclosed that the finished floor is going to be an LVP (luxury vinyl plank) with cork backing. It's a floating floor. That's why I didn't want to screw new flange down through it, and pin it in place.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where the toilet is in relation to other things in the room, if someone were to slip and try to steady themselves against the toilet, you could force it to move, and that can break an all-plastic toilet flange. Been there, done that. Some people tend to overtighten it, trying to keep the toilet from moving without any caulk. That might work on a vinyl floor, but usually won't work on tile...there's not all that much friction between those two hard surfaces. WOrst case, overtightening the toilet to the flange can crack the toilet.

Given a choice during remodeling or new construction, choose a flange with a SS ring, not a painted steel one, or an all plastic one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks