2X8 ceiling joist clearance for toilet flange/elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbing novice

Reaction score
Hi,

I will need to revise some of the existing 3" pluming coming from the second floor. The ceiling is open on the first floor below. The second floor joists are 2x8.

I am not sure that I have enough height to come off the a toilet closet flange with a full long turn 90 elbow off the flange.

Is it acceptable to use the shorter 90 elbow off the flange? Do the closet flanges with the drop kick 45 take up less height?

Just trying to make sure that I don't dip below sheet rock ceiling height.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a short sweep 90 below the toilet flange..

I prefer to use a fitting specifically made for that purpose called a closet bend or 4x3 closet ell.. I can install it very close to the subfloor .

http://www.canplas.com/plumbing/ct_product/103103/

with a 884-PTM closet flange that glues right inside the vertical.

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/tko?template=P3SpecSheets

I dont like to use the 45° flanges because they are limited in direction of flow and require a large amount of subfloor to be removed

plumbing novice

Reaction score
You can use a short sweep 90 below the toilet flange..

I prefer to use a fitting specifically made for that purpose called a closet bend or 4x3 closet ell.. I can install it very close to the subfloor .

http://www.canplas.com/plumbing/ct_product/103103/

with a 884-PTM closet flange that glues right inside the vertical.

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/tko?template=P3SpecSheets

I dont like to use the 45° flanges because they are limited in direction of flow and require a large amount of subfloor to be removed

plumbing novice

Reaction score
Hi Tuttles Revenge,

Thanks for the information. What would the difference be if I used a 3" 90 degree spigot x hub street elbow with that same closet flange? Added flow restriction?

Thanks in advance.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any other 90 and closet flange combination will take up more room or elevation. Flow restriction is negligible in this scenario. If you don't have any height concerns and can place the flange first and install whatever 90 you have, then its no matter which you use.

My suggested fittings allow the 90 to be placed thru the floor and the floor can finish up to the fitting and be built up to any height and afterwards I can install a flange.

plumbing novice

Reaction score
Any other 90 and closet flange combination will take up more room or elevation. Flow restriction is negligible in this scenario. If you don't have any height concerns and can place the flange first and install whatever 90 you have, then its no matter which you use.

My suggested fittings allow the 90 to be placed thru the floor and the floor can finish up to the fitting and be built up to any height and afterwards I can install a flange.
I picked up the 4/3 closet flange and the 4/3 elbow you mentioned. The closet flange will be sitting on approximately 1 1/2" of flooring/sub flooring + a layer of vinyl plank floor so at least 1 5/8" thickness. When I add that to the 7" I get below from the 2 x 8 I shouldn't have any problem clearing sheet rock ceiling. Will find out this afternoon.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I glued in a flange, I would want a stainless steel ring.

Reach4

Reaction score
The 884-PTM has the metal ring.
I may have mis-read "I picked up the 4/3 closet flange and the 4/3 elbow you mentioned. " as "I picked up the 4/3 closet flange and (the 4/3 elbow you mentioned). " I should have read it as "I picked up ( the 4/3 closet flange and the 4/3 elbow) you mentioned. "

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what it looks like if the 90 is placed flush with your finished floor.. The flange has 2" of insertion..

4x3 Closet bend.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks