My Kitchen Sink Is really close to my drain. So I can't put in a Dish Washer in to the Drain Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

cyphergt

Reaction score
So as you can see in the images below my sink drain is really close to my drain line so I have no idea how I could install a drain line for a dish washer. I'm thinking maybe if I get a smaller drain I may be able to fit it but I don't that I could find anything that would be so much smaller that it could make a difference. Any ideas, websites, hardware or suggestions are greatly welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_8635.JPG
    IMG_8635.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 282
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your photos are not visible to us.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can extend the trap for the sink and swivel back to catch it. That gives room to place a tee fitting for the dishwasher between the wall and the trap.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
While I don't love Terry's idea, I can't say I haven't done that same thing..

But.. just to see if there isn't a way to get a tee between the trap and the basket.. Measure exactly the distance between the bottom of the Sink and the top of the slip joint nut on the trap. Maybe by installing a shorter basket strainer, with a direct connect DW Wye.. you might be able to make that up.. its a long shot.. but.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do not want to connect the dishwasher between the wall and the trap, because that means it would NOT have trap in it. there are much shorter drains, which combined with a 'low inlet trap', if necessary, would solve your problem.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
With a typical short strainer and a typical direct connect wye... I have 5" from the sink to the top of the trap nut. Maybe a more shallow strainer and a shorter wye.. but that's the best mock up I have.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This is what Terry is recommending:

Lately, there seems to be many posts with the the height of the drain at the wall, especially after a remodel with more moderned deep sinks. However, I notice that most have these deep basket drains that places the slip nut about 2 inches lower than a shallow one.

What you probably have on the left and replace it with the one on the right. Use a tail piece that has the connection up on the upper collar and you will have to trim a inch or two off that inserts into the trap. It should give you plenty of room. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-3...t-Strainer-and-Rubber-Stopper-D1125/306002485

elkay-lk99.jpg;height=230;width=230;bgcolor=White;quality=65
elkay-d1125.jpg;width=280;height=280;bgcolor=White

shopping

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Plumb...ocphy=9053092&hvtargid=pla-313308507326&psc=1

cyphergt

Reaction score
Wow I just looked at this just now and I have a ton of ideas thank you everyone I will keep you posted.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The top fitting is a swivel adapter so the trap can be removed and maintained.

20191016_104307-edit.jpg

20191016_104307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks